New System Setup Questions.

Username: Hfthomp

Post Number: 2
Hey everyone. Sorry if these are stupid questions, but I'm looking for some advice or reassurance. Anyway, here goes.

Recently bought a Yamaha 5860 receiver for my home and I've been trying to figure out the best way to connect all my components to it. Here is what I will be connecting

Mitsubishi WD-52525 DLP HDTV
Direct TV SIR-S4080R DVR Receiver
Playstation2 (slim one)
Gamecube

Okay, right now my thoughts are to hook the PS2 and the Gamecube up to the Receiver. I will be using component video and digital optical audio for the PS2. For the Gamecube I will just hook it up with the standard composite cables.

The receiver has component upconversion, so I will connect that to the tv with component cables for video. The DirectTV receiver is where I am having some issues. I'm thinking about connecting it to the TV using S-video (best it has) and the analog audio cables. It also has a digital optical out that I would like to be able to connect to the receiver for those shows that are in surround sound. Is this feasible?

Questions....Is there a way to hook the receiver's audio up to the TV so I don't have to listen to my PS2 and Gamecube with my full surround sound speakers all the time? The main reason I want to hook my DirectTV receiver up to the TV is that sometimes I like to play the PS2 in split screen PIP mode with the DirectTV on the other half, this is the only way I could do that I assume.

Would it just be easier to hook everything up through the receiver and get over my split screen days? Thanks in advance.

Silver Member
Username: Joe_c

Atlanta, GA

Post Number: 913
Easier , yes. Otherwise just hook all video up to the TV directly and audio to the rec. Then swicth back and forth as much as you want.

Silver Member

Atlanta, GA

Post Number: 914
Also yes use the optical out on the Directv rec.

Silver Member

Atlanta, GA

Post Number: 915
And use either the pre out (if the amp has it) or the tape out to the TV for alternate sound.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us