Help with Speaker Layout....

Username: Bostonmacosx

Boston, MA

Post Number: 9
My Wife and I are putting on an addition.

http://bostonmacosx.dyndns.org/ourroom.jpg

I've started with a modest system. Denon 1905/785S and a Paradigm Surround Cinema 90.

I'm going to use it in a 5.1 setup for now as I'm assiging the extra two speakers out to our new deck.

What i'm having trouble with is the position of the surround speakers. The couch has to go up against the back wall however the person at the store I went to said the surroutn speaker should go at least behind the couch by 3-4 feet. that is not an option.

the 4 windows I think will get in the way as well.

He said that I should place them on the floor behind the couch. I don't belive that too much.

Any suggestions would be helpful.

Cheers

Boston, MA

Post Number: 10
oh yeah dark gray lines are 1' apart

Bronze Member

Boston, MA

Post Number: 12
sorry room is being started.
Have to bump.

Bronze Member
Username: Feot

Texas USA

Post Number: 67
The room you have is not the best setup for surround sound. You may consider a good stereo setup.
"sorry room is being started."
Does this mean you are gutting the room for wiring/remodel purpose? If so, I would get rid of the sectional and get 1 or 2 chairs and a small sofa and setup the speakers as follows:

http://www.dolby.com/consumer/home_entertainment/roomlayout.html

Bronze Member

Boston, MA

Post Number: 13
Basically I can do this surrounds on either side of the sectional.

and the fronts on the ent cetner.

this should work.

this is a completely new room by the way..

Gold Member
Username: Paul_ohstbucks

Post Number: 1944
Robert,
I would place the surrounds on either side even with your primary listening position facing inward. Be sure to put them on stands so they're up at around ear height while seated.

If the 'kid' at the store told you to place them on the floor behind the couch, please ignore everything he told you because he doesnt know what he's talking about.

Good luck...

Silver Member
Username: Thx_3417

Post Number: 825
Robert,

Looking at the design of the room, place the three-screen loudspeakers towards the two side windows, along the front with the sub bass unit placed in two or three positions, corners or in-between the left and right, and look at the SPL db meter for best results.

As for the split-surrounds, there is usual enough room above the windows to place brackets then attach the surround loudspeakers to them, and on the other side of the room note sure high far the chimney breast sticks out?

Place the first surround loudspeaker in front the door, above it using a bracket with the second surround loudspeaker placed, a few feet back along the wall keeping all surround loudspeakers at the same height and in the same position.

If you have Dolby-EX place two surround loudspeakers above the windows and the sliding doors, if there is any room to spare?

You sure do have a lot of windows; anyway this should work if you look at it again and redesign it over a few more times, also you can fix the surrounds to the ceiling facing downward and angling them to a centre point in the room.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us