WEAK DIALOG & STRONG EFFECTS

BOCA
Unregistered guest
I have DENON AVR-1804, and my problem is when I
watch movies usually I have to increase volume to be able to pick up a dialog. On the other side it become so loud when it come so movie effects. I am tired of going up and down with volume button.
It must be the catch somewhere with settings.
Is anybody knows answer to this glitch.
Thanks

Silver Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 393
try setting it up using a volume/spl meter.

johnm
Unregistered guest
First, look carefully through your owners manual. Sometimes there is a setting on receivers called "dynamic range". It adjusts the difference between the minimum and maximum levels of sounds.
Otherwise boost the level on the center speaker since dialog comes mainly from there.

BOCA
Unregistered guest
I already raised level on center speaker and it sounds bit better. The thing is, I do not like to artificially lift or lower sound for certain outputs. I prefer linear sound as it comes.
I forgot to say that this mismatched sound is mostly thru analog input; with digital is much better.

Thanks guys!

Username: Doc

Post Number: 7
Hey Boca - You might also check the Audio settings on your DVD player and other equipment, there may be some sort of Dialog enhancment that might help. If your getting most of your problems with analog input... well probably just your DSP chipset... How old is your reciever and what DSP sounfield options does it offer for analog signals?

Doc

BOCA
Unregistered guest
DOC, thanks on your observations. Currently I am looking at all setting options to optimize my
sound / picture quality. My Denon AVR-1804 is this year model and has more options that one would need. Yet, I am still learning what to do or what not to do. There are so many ways for improvements or to make mistake with inadequate settings.

Username: Lpicchiotti

Dallas, TX USA

Post Number: 1
BOCA, I have an older Denon receiver and I had a similar problem. I solved it when I learned that in order to adjust the "surround parameters", the receiver must be set to dolby pro logic before the menu button is seltected. When you go into the "surround parameters" adjustments you can turn the Dynamic Range Compression (D. Comp) to mid or high, which should help. At least that is how it works on my older unit.

BOCA
Unregistered guest
Thanks Larry, I will try first to understand the order of task in the settings you described.

Wish me a luck!!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us