Wondering if it's possible to plug in computer surround into a TV..

Metal
Unregistered guest
Hi,

I have a set of Altec Lansing surround sound speakers that I got for my computer when I first started college, and I was wondering if there was a way to possibly plug these speakers into a new TV I was getting. The new TV says surround sound output is capable via fixed-/variable-level rear analog audio outputs for hookup with a surround receiver.

As far as the speakers go, I'm not very knowledgable at as to how they actually plug into anything, but I know that the five surround sound speakers plug in through the sub woofer, which plugs the whole system into my computer sound card via three colored microphone-type jacks. I tried to find something comparable on the Altec Lansing website, but I couldn't.. I know this is vague, but any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Bronze Member
Username: Feot

Texas USA

Post Number: 51
This will require at minimum a stereo receiver or amplifier. Take the fixed-/variable-level rear analog audio outputs from the TV (using a composite right and left audio cable) and into an input of the receiver or amplifier. From the receiver or amplifier you must connect speaker wire to the right and left speaker output. If you have Altec Lansing computer speakers that connect to a subwoofer with bare wire, this can be done. Be warned that the Altec speakers were not designed to be hooked to a receiver or amplifier so you could risk damaging the speakers by doing so because they were not designed to take the wattage output of a receiver or amplifer. If your goal is to save money, you will be spending more than a cheap set of stereo speakers would cost by purchasing a receiver or amplifier.
To answer your question as to how speakers connect in a Home Audio or Theater invironment, it is by bare speaker wire not a plug in type jack like the older systems in the 70's were.
For an entire setup you could use an Audio Source 50wX2 amplifier and 2 Earthquake flush mount in-ceiling speakers all for $225.00. You would need to install speaker wire from your equipment area to where the speakers would be placed in the ceiling. The amplifier is $125.00 if that is all you need.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us