TV with Surround Sound

sarge.01
Unregistered guest
I have a Sharp 5.1 surround sound and DVD system with Dolby ProLogic II. I want to buy a TV which will be compatible with this - i.e. one whose sound will convert to surround when plugged into the Sharp system - what specific features does the TV I choose have to have in order for this to happen?

Gold Member
Username: Paul_ohstbucks

Post Number: 1794
Your sharp TV only needs to have the necessary inputs. No TV plays surround sound, and the only way that can be accomplished is by connecting 5 external speakers to your receiver.

The Sharp will send the 5.1 signal to the speakers, not your TV so there arent any audio compatability issues. So long as your TV has component video inputs for the video signal, your TV will be compatable. If you're concerned about upgrading your TV to have the best picture possible, restrict your search to HDTVs and they'll also have all the inputs you need.

Bronze Member
Username: Feot

Texas USA

Post Number: 46
If your receiving regular analog TV broadcast you will have to have Right and Left audio out of your TV. If you have cable, you use the Right and Left audio output from the cable box.

Silver Member
Username: John_s

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 389
I used to have a girlfriend I called Sarge because she sure was bossy! But I digress...

Here we have a question without enough information. The TV signal will be derived from either
1) an ordinary antenna or straight cable (no set top box)
2) cable with set top box or satellite with its box.

If it's #1, then all you need is a TV with ordinary right/left line outputs which would be used to feed the Sharp system. The DPL II would then give you a pretty good synthesized surround sound from the TV. Almost all TVs have this feature these days. It's not a big deal.

If it's #2, then you'd ordinarily feed the Sharp with the audio signal from either the cable or satellite box--whichever is the case. The choice of TV doesn't matter in this case.

Paul's right. Please consider an HDTV--they may cost a little more, but you won't be sorry.

Silver Member
Username: John_s

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 390
Thanks FEOT, you beat me to it....and with a lot less words. :-)

sarge.01
Unregistered guest
I'd be using it with a ntl cable set top box. Thanks for the advice!

Sarge
(the first part of my surname! Not because I'm bossy.. :P)

wendyandtodd
Unregistered guest
we just bought a jbl surround sound system with a yamaha 5380 reciever. I am trying to connect it to an rca tv, sony dvd player and direct tv box. how do i do this

Gold Member
Username: Paul_ohstbucks

Post Number: 2012
try reading your manual. If you have a more specific question after doing so, I'll see what I can do to help.

Username: Stdcwr12

Post Number: 1
Could you tell me how to hook my tv up to the surround sound system if the only connections on the tv are audio in (left & right) and the video in?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us