Help me..I'm sinking!

Username: Sieerra

Post Number: 1
Decisions, decisions -- Before I begin, I want to say that this is one of the best boards I've seen on the net. Everyone's very respectful to each other and the information provided is awesome! I'll be as brief and abbreviated as possible.

To start, here are some details
-- my living/dining room is under construction with framing happening --
-- it's a total of 22'Wx26'L with a 1ft raised ceiling of 12'Wx16'L. Regular 8' ceilings around perimeter.
-- Wall, where 50"plasma Pioneer HD5040 will go above fireplace(FP) ~66" wide.
-- Pioneer HD5040 (costco) comes with a tuner(?) and has a two connecter cable for hookup into the plasma(?)
-- Two 4' bookshelves on either side with cabinet doors on bottom part.
-- The cabinets and FP will be flush w/wall and plasma sitting off the wall. A mantle will be above FP ~4" deep.
-- No place for wall, but will do 5 in ceiling speakers with sub in one cabinet with components in other.
-- Cabinet doors will not be solid, but rather perforated black steel (no speaker fabric due to very small children). Holes will be maybe round BB size or hexagon.
-- Looking to place 2 in ceiling speakers in master bedroom as well off main receiver as well as two outdoor speakers
-- Comcast cable is choice of signal

So,
1. Optimal placement of in ceiling speakers? Looking to do 6.5" aim-able speakers (Speakercraft), but am open to other brands that accomplish the same without the $200 each (not pair) price tag? Is 6.5" speakers not enough? Need paintable grills with no logo on them.
a. Do I install with new construction or just run wire and install after drywall with cutout made for hole. Speakercraft wants $30 for new construction brackets.
b. Will I lose a lot of sound if placed in raised part of ceiling? Though aim-able?
c. Looking at the Speakercraft BASS X8? Other suggestions?
i. Sub will go inside left cabinet.
ii. Know of any place to have the perforated metal made to the size of a cabinet door (it'll be inset in door from inside with silicone to reduce vibration sounds).
d. Terminate speaker wire into a wall box then from wall box to receiver?

2. Looking at Pioneer VSX-54TX due to wanting a 2 zone 7.1 system. A little over my budget, but I figure it matches Pioneer plasma brand. Matter?
a. Do I need 2 zones since I won't be able to do the outdoor speakers over within a 2 zone receiver. Or does an amp or speaker expander type product? If that's right?
b. Other suggestions to the Pioneer?

3. The Pioneer comes with a two connector cable that plugs into the tuner and tv. It looks like d-sub type of connectors. I need to run it in the wall prior to sheetrock then down to cabinet. Do I really need this cable to hook up the TV or can I use something else?
a. If I move, I'm stuck with the cable in the wall with no means to get it out.
b. What is CL rated cable? The salesperson said I have to have CL rated cable for inwall installation. Pioneer wants $600 for a 30' cable (PDA-H03CL).
c. Outlet will be placed behind plasma. Looking to have a whole house surge protector installed. Not much lightening in Bay Area, CA.
i. Thoughts about "power conditioners" from Panamax? Really needed to protect the life of the TV?
ii. Just a surge protection outlet behind plasma?

That's it for now I suppose and thank you very much in advance for all your help! There are so many details, if I need to provide more, let me know!

« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us