Set up question (Direct TV / Panasonic HT930)

Username: Westerner99

Post Number: 1
I apologize in advance if this is a stupid question, but I am having trouble getting surround sound from my Direct TV (DVR) unit out of my Panasonic HT930. The HT930 is a DVD / Receiver and the DVDs play surround sound just fine.

I have the white and red cables connected from the Direct TV unit to the Receiver. Am I doing something wrong? Do I need to change certain settings? (I've already set the Direct TV unit to the Dolby Sound setting.)

Bronze Member
Username: Vexhold

Post Number: 11
2 things... 1st not all DirecTv's channels send out surround sound. Most are stereo.. There will be an icon on the info screen telling you its in dolby...

If thats not the problem possibly you ned to select a source for the input on yer reciever.. I tried to look up yer reciever specs online but none had the manual or input options ...

Hope this helps...

Post Number: 2
Thanks for the reply. I chose HBO and a program on there that had the Dolby symbol, but no luck.

When you say "select a source for the input," do you mean other than selecting TV (which is where the Direct TV box audio goes into the back of the Panasonic receiver)?

I can hear sound coming out of the front left and right...just nothing in the center or back left or back right.

Bronze Member
Username: Vexhold

Post Number: 13
does yer dvr have a digital out?

Post Number: 3
No, just red and white cables/holes.

Gold Member
Username: Paul_ohstbucks

Post Number: 1711
If your DVR 'only' has composite outputs, you wont get 5.1 from any channel. It's not compatable. You will still be able to get 2 channel dolby surround though and sound will play from all 5 speakers.

Providing you correctly connected cables from the DVR output, into your receivers input, you should get 2.1 dolby surround when you change to the correct input on your receiver.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us