7.1 speaker setup, side speakers bipole, but in front of me??

Username: Newaudiophile

Post Number: 1
Hey, I'm new here. I recently purchased the Definitive Technologies Procinema 60, and 2 DefTech BP 1.2x bipole speakers. I have them placed like

this:

x-------screen-------x
-----------x----------

-x------------------x-
---------couch--------
--x----rear wall---x--

The couch is my main listening area, and it's a 7.1 setup. I have the side speakers as the deftech bp 1.2x bipoles, but they're about a foot in front of me, while the procinema 60 monopole speakers are behind me on the rear wall against the side walls. I am sitting about 7 inches in front of the rear wall.

I was wondering what the effect is from this setup? Will I lose anything from the bipoles being in front of me? Should I move the rear monopoles closer together? They're about 8-9 feet apart, but I can move them to 3 feet apart or less but not more than 3 feet apart, since some of the rear wall is taken up by windows.

Gold Member
Username: Paul_ohstbucks

Post Number: 1713
Will you lose anything???

Nawww.....speakers in theaters arent even with everybodies seated position, and they manage allright.

As for the backs??? I'd lean towards moving them to 3 feet apart opposed to having them 9 feet apart because it will fill the 'back' area with sound better than when they're spread waaaay apart leaving a big sound void. I suggest experimenting with it both ways, and do whichever you like the best. Im sure somebody will followup my response with a contradiction of opinion........HEH

Username: Newaudiophile

Post Number: 2
Thanks a lot for your reply.

I actually moved my couch a foot further in front of the rear wall, and it sounds much better.

I'm still thinking about moving the rear surrounds closer though, and might try that.

Unfortunately, 2 weeks into listening to my new Deftech speakers, one of them popped, and now I get distortion. I had the speakers hooked up to my Denon AVR-2805. Now I gotta get them replaced or something.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us