Looking for some Professional Help

Username: Moleman16

Post Number: 1
Here's the deal: My gf's parents have a gigantic house, with a gigantic living room (25 foot ceilings). Currently, they have in-wall speakers in the front of the room above the TV and in the rear but not centered behind the TV, all pointing up. The room has a slight echo, and I'm sure that is partially from the room size, but also I think there is a tiny delay just from the time it takes the sound to go up 15 feet, then back down 25 more to me. To help that, they purchased a Bose Acoustimass set, with the Subwoofer and 2 surround outputs. The speakers sound horribly static-y and the sub doesnt make noise.
They have 4 receivers, 1 for radio on each floor, and another larger one for the home theatre system. The receivers are all about 10-11 year old, and therefore do not have many of the newer surround effects. What I want to do is try to replace the 4 receivers with hopefully 1 new one, or possibly run the others as pre-amps.
I have heard many good things about Onkyo, and after researching a little bit I was thinking about buying the TX-NR801. I also saw the 800 model on Ebay, but do not see the difference between the 2, if there is one.
Anyone who has any suggestions or better models to go with please let me know. I plan to replace the speakers, but I am not sure about what to get there either. They must be as small as possible, but clear and powerful still (NOT BOSE, although I am impressed with their stuff, it's too much, we're looking to spend about $1000-1200 for everything). I bought a Kenwood 705 home theatre system mainly because it was a steal at about $200, and I think that is an incredible system. It's easy to use and sound quality is amazing. Maybe something similar would be good here too?? You guys sound like you know your sh*t, and I would definitely appreciate anything you have to offer. Thanks
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us