Spousal approval factor questions

Username: Designstate

Oakland, CA Usa

Post Number: 1
Hey all. So for my masters thesis / creative work project I am trying to redesign the hometheater speaker experience. Not really the sound of it (too many people with big degrees doing that allready) but the looks. Now I know that they come hand and hand. But bear with me, I know what I am doing.

My questions. Do you find there is a problem with the design of home theater speakers? Does your wife?
Are you/your spouse happy with how they integrate into your environment?
What are the environments that you are putting 5.1 or higher surround sound into? IE: living room, familly room, den, dedicated home theater room?

O.K. that will do for now. I really appreciate anyones opinion and feedback.

Thanks all,
Kyle

Anonymous

My wife at first wanted the small speakers, but then we went to listen to several at "the Best Buy," and she closed her eyes as I switched the speakers from one to another.

She liked the sound of the larger speakers so much more that she didn't mind putting them in our family room.

ANd she tells ahh her girlfriands how great they sound.

And when the room's dark, you can't see those speakers anyway...

But my wife also likes baseball and football, too, so I may be wrong.

Your best bet may be to wait until DALE M WILEY or ANDY SUMMERS responds to your question. Those guys are so smart that you really don't need to get anyone else's opinion.

No, strike that, the THINK they are so smart that you really don't need to get anyone else's opinion.

So after one of those guys answers (and I'm suprised DALE M WILEY hasn't yet), you can totally consider your research answered!

Oakland, CA Usa

Post Number: 2
Thanks for the reply. Accoustics asside for a moment. Which I know, why bother, they are speakers after all. But do speakers fit into your living environment? I'd love to hear from a ton of you. No one person has "thee" only answer. If you could have great sound and didn't have to have a box in your room, or a speaker in the wall or ceiling would that make a difference? What do you think are the sexiest speakers out there? Do your women friends agree?

Thanks again,
Kyle

Gold Member
Username: Paul_ohstbucks

Post Number: 1640
Unless your spouse is the primary listener, speaker design is none of her concern. Her job is to dust them and decorate around, and nothing more. Unless she is paying for them directly from her pocket, she has no say in the matter.

If she wants to decorate the living room, master bedroom, bathroom...etc...etc...etc....(more power too her)because I allow her that privelage.

She has no say in the Home theater though......That's my room. She gets the rest of the house, and she'll have to live with my HT choices. Letting your spouse choose HT components/speakers would be about as stupid as letting her decide which golf clubs that you buy for your own personal use. Are you going to let your wife tell you which driver you like best??

Anonymous

Paul must be either:
1) living at home with his mommy,
2) divorced multiple times, or
3) waiting in line for the next Star Wars movie because, hey, we all know Lucas is going to do another one.

He obviously has no understanding of anything that doesn't have a plug attached to it, or a centerfold stapled to the inside of it!

Gold Member

Post Number: 1647
I figure that anon is either one of two things.

1. a bitter housewife
or
2. a man who carries a purse

Silver Member
Username: Dmwiley

Post Number: 950
"Your best bet may be to wait until DALE M WILEY or ANDY SUMMERS responds to your question. Those guys are so smart that you really don't need to get anyone else's opinion." To all my fans and friends in cyberspace, thank you, thank you very much.

Silver Member
Username: Joe_c

Oakwood, Ga

Post Number: 732
God there has been some funny post's this morning.

Silver Member
Username: Dmwiley

Post Number: 954
Joe, didn't realize I had such a fan base. Let's you and I start a magazine. We could call it "This is the Real Sheit" or something like that.

Username: Kenney9226

Thrill City, VA

Post Number: 5
Yeah, "Dale M Wiley presents Dale M Wiley's presentation of Dale M Wiley's awesome and untouchable knowledge on EVERYTHING!"

All you need to do is get one subscriber at the introductory rate of $500,000 per month and you'd be SET!

...I bet ANDY SUMMERS would subscribe.

No, wait, he knows everything too.

Well, maybe Paul up there would subscribe. He seems to be Dale M Wiley's type!

Bronze Member
Username: Em69

Post Number: 17
Kyle,
I hope this discussion has been helpful to you.

Oakland, CA Usa

Post Number: 3
Kind of... Ha Ha. This is such an interesting topic. Everyone has a different opinion on what speakers should look like. It is undeniably a guy thing. I know women like how they sound etc etc. But they way they look really does matter. I myself am happily married and would rather design good looking speakers than have to compromise with what is out there. I do feel that we can have it both ways. All the bickering asside I would still love to hear others opinions and personal experiences.

Thanks

Gold Member

Post Number: 1680
In my household, I chose all the components. Once my theater was complete, my wife was free to decorate around however she chose. Since she knows absolutely nothing about the topic, why would she even want to input on component selection??She has never, and will never to electronic shopping with me for the same reasons I'll never go to to the store with her when she shops for her stuff. When you go shopping for new golf clubs, does your wife tag along?? Do you tag along to the boutiques with her???

My room is dedicated to HT so why would she care how big or how many speakers are present??

Around my home, she has her departments(most everything), and I have mine(toys), and there is never any confusion or the stepping on toes.

To me, her dictating to me what type or style of components to buy would be about as silly as her giving advice as to what type of lawn mower or tools that I need to have in the garage.

Silver Member
Username: Philman

Richmond, IN USA

Post Number: 116
Kyle, I think what's missing here is a personality chip in some of your posters. Even though I don't necessarily consult my wife on HT or electronic purchases I do realize that we SHARE the house we live in. So my approach is to 'lead' her to my conclusion. Most women don't see beauty in electronic products, maybe cause they're mostly designed by guys.

I will buy new gear and let her experience it on a "trial" basis, good news is that in 23 years I have always kept the stuff and she gets used to it with no confrontation.

Sure, I'm the man in the house and I carry a big stick too, I just choose to use mine a little differently.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us