Room Planning

Username: Vexhold

Post Number: 1
I have a 13x20 room to work with. It is being specifically built to be a HT. W/ no windows and one door in the rear. I am planning 2 rows of 3 theater seats. now heres the questions...

How far does the screen have to be from the 1st seat to be able to enjoy a movie and not be too close...the screen proposed is a 103 diag.

Can anyone give me Sound proofing ideas... ive seen plenty of products online..and someone told me double sheetrock would be plenty.. but I find that hard to believe... Only 1 wall and the ceiling will be connected to the house the other 3 wall will be outside underground concrete walls..?

And lastly.. speaker setup.. I am going with 7.1 and am wondering on speaker placement..the front left and right will be set in wall and the center will be behind the screen.. but the last 4 is whats got me stumped.. I would love to not see them but the side channels cant go in wall (concrete) and the rear will be on a wall connected to the house.. any advice here?

Thanks ahead of time..

Casey

Bronze Member
Username: Em69

Post Number: 13
Regarding soundproofing...you are right. Double sheetrock just isn't enough.

At the very least, you should:

1. Fill the joists and wall stud cavities with batt insulation
2. Install resilient channels on the walls and ceiling
3. Apply 1 layer of sheet rock (preferably two if possible and stagger joints).
4. Install a solid core door

Since sound can easily travel through the ground, you should sound proof at least the 3 walls nearest to the house.

If you have a big budget, you can even look into soundproofing your duct work to avoid sound transfer through your ducts.

Username: Thiro

San Jose, CA USA

Post Number: 1
I am buying KEF Q series and I want to know how high should I mount the rear suround on the wall? The Q2DS suround are Dipolar.

Please help.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us