Thoughts on Fluance speakers

Username: Zums

Fresno, CA

Post Number: 4
Does anyone have a set of Fluance speakers? Especially the SX-HTB? Cnet gave the AV-HTB a pretty good review, but I can't seem to find comments on the higher end SX-HTB. Anyone near Fresno, CA have a set?

So much talk about Fluance...it's frustrating that there's no way for me to demo them. My other options besides Fluance would be the Onkyo HT-S760 or HT-S660 which comes with a sub and a receiver.

Hope someone can help me out here. Thanks!

Username: Matthew2582

Raymore, MO United States

Post Number: 9
The Fluance SX's sound amazing and are built like a high-end speaker, whilst the Onkyo's are poorly built, boxy and coloured throughout - IMHO

Silver Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 667
Onkyo is a fine receiver, but they skimped on building the speakers that came along with the package. Cuts down on cost and gets the Onkyo line to the mass market and into homes.

Fluance is a great set of speakers for the budget concious. Built well with good materials and sounds great. They do have a 30 day trial period, so you can return them if you don't like them. I liked them, and bought them as a gift for a nephew of mine who loved them.

Bronze Member
Username: Daddyrabbit

Post Number: 16
I have to agree with both Matthew and Berny on two points. The Onkyo receiver is great, and the speakers Onkyo bundles with them are "ok" but not built with a high degree of quality and are not very attractive (I think Onkyo OEMd them). After some minor adjustments in a medium sized room mine actually sound pretty good (Onkyo HT-770), but I'm sure in a year or so I will be speaker shopping for something that is going to sound and look better and Fluance is on my list to look at.

My goal is a pretty decent sounding system now with a darned good receiver to upgrade with later.

Matthew might suggest the Onkyo TX-SR-502(75W into 8ohm x 6 ch.) and the Fluance SX-HTB might make a good combination that would not be much more expensive than an HT-770, and I might be inclined to agree, especially if you have or can afford a seperate sub. (I think I would go with the Klipsch though Matthew :-) )

Here are some links you might find of interest.

http://www.subzerotech.com/index/module/sz_reviews_display/id/184

http://www.audioreview.com/pscSpeakers/Home,Theater,Speaker,Systems/Fluance,SX-H TB/PRD_142844_4282crx.aspx#reviews

http://ecoustics.consumerreview.com/pscAudioReview/Speakers/Home+Theater+Speaker +Systems/Fluance,SX-HTB/PRD_142844_4282crx.aspx

And the 502

http://www.onkyousa.com/model.cfm?class=Receiver&m=TX-SR502&p=i

Good luck on your choice...

Bronze Member

Post Number: 14
Well another package to consider is the highly-rated Athena Micra 6 - which I have just been informed by Athena, will be available IN-STORE at Best Buy (cheesh - what a monstrously awful place to buy Home Theater or anything for that matter :-)by the end of July at all BB stores.

Haven't had a chance to audition the Klipsch Quintet II's but they may be rather colored in the mid-range if they are like the Quintet I's.

HankVT
Unregistered guest
The Micra6 was in a flyer from Best Buy or CC this weekend partnered with a Yamaha receiver. I should receive the SX-HTB today and I'll post a review after the break-in

freakoid
Unregistered guest
HankVt - Any thoughts on your new SX-HTB? I am considering either getting that system or piecing together the Fluance SV-10s, AV-SC and AV-BP2s. Just wondering what your thoughts are about it so far ...

HankVT
Unregistered guest
The SX-HTB's a great speakers. I haven't hooked them to an AV receiver, just a stereo receiver. It's not a complete test yet. The two tower speakers have less bass than the Technics full-size speakers that my wife gave away. That's rather a disappointment. I'll probably have to buy a small subwoofer to go with them.

The SX speakers were about $329 shipped.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 37
HankVT - a few days have passed since your post - but I would be very surprised if the SX's haven't improved during the break-in period, assuming that you have been breaking them in a few hours a day and that you have a good receiver. In my experience, the SX's with the Denon 1804 (and some decent connecting cables !)produce plenty of clean, tight bass.

Matthew

Username: Hokievt

Post Number: 3
They have improved although not in the bass dept. I'm pushing them with a Onkyo SR502 (75w) receiver now and they are holding up well. I can drive them loudly with 1/3 up the volume control.

They aren't bassless. They just can't compete with the old speakers. Part of that is the design. The Technics speakers with a 12" woofer next to the floor. The Fluance woofers are well off the floor.

For $329, you will not beat the Fluance package.

Finch
Unregistered guest
Any other words on which type of receiver works well/best with the SX-HTB's? and is Fluances' sub worth buying? Thanks

Gold Member

Post Number: 1831
A lot of receivers work well with Fluance. Do you have anything in particular in mind?

Anonymous

How about a Yamaha hx-v450? Are these new Yamaha's still too 'bright', exageratting the lack of bass without a subwoofer?

Anonymous

Bump.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2003
Works well with Fluance

lirong
Unregistered guest
I am planning on picking up a Yamaha RX-V650.

Has anyone compared the fluance with the onkyo sks-ht240 setup?

Also, if Im willing to step up a bit in price but would like to stay under $800, what would be a recommended 6.1 or 5.1 setup?

Thanks.

lirong
Unregistered guest
By the way I probably should have added - I am in a room that is approximately 12 x 13.

Anonymous

I have a pair of SM938's. They are very good speakers. Despite the high woofer x/o point, they play very well. Biampable, and very well braced, except along the sides. No resonances though. Cheap and very good deals.

Anonymous

Hey lirong....if you are going to spend that much money you just as well get the RX-V2500 for about $950 on sale. You can hook up all s video/rca jacks etc... and the receiver will up convert all video signals to component video(best) and 130 watts x7. If you want you can run 5.1 and run the other two into another room. Check it out.

Unregistered guest
Hi all, I just bought the Onkyo TX-SR602 7.1 85W/ chan for $300 at JandR.com (also through Amazon) and am looking for some speakers. I'll definately check out the Sx-HTBs.

Any other suggestions that will suit this receiver for a resonable price?

Go Chargers,
TIA
Neil

Bronze Member
Username: Hokievt

Post Number: 71
Athena Micra 6 sounds good.

Username: Joycenmike

Post Number: 1
I'll have to throw in my 2 cents on the Athena Micra 6. They are awesome, and for $250 on sale at Best Buy, I don't think you can beat them with anything under $600.

Username: Lookingg

Post Number: 3
I just got off the phone with Fluance about an issue with one of their resellers. That being Oakville Sound and an issue of not being shipped items for which I paid. I have contacted Oakville on this issue several times and have not recieved any explantion for the delay. I recieved partial shipment only.

Fluance told me I needed to take that up with Oakville. They were not respondsable for what their Fluance resellers do to customers.

I asked to speak to the Fluance customer service department, I was informed that I was speaking to them. I asked for the complaint deptartment. Fluance told me that they could NOT give me the telephone number. That was not allowed that I contact them by phone. They could only supply me with an address to mail to the complaint department with details and a copy of my reciept.

If you have an issue, you may have a REAL issue.

Buyer BEWARE!

Bronze Member
Username: Sdc

Post Number: 39
I have had that issue when I bought a rice cooker online. The manufacturer told me to deal with the company I bought it from. Even though the manufacturer told me there was a problem with the cooker the dealer told me if they plug it in and the light goes on they consider it to be working correctly and they would not spend any time to test it beyond that. I know it is not audio related but it just goes to show you that when you buy online you might suffer the consequences.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2479
Joe,
That sounds like a shipping and dealer issue and not speaker issues.

The dealers should be contacted regarding sales and service. Now if the speakers break down and does not perform according to what it is supposed to do, then that is a speaker issue.

Buyer BEWARE of crappy dealers.

Username: Lookingg

Post Number: 4
Squeakiest wheel gets the grease:

Fluance just called me and I got an e-mail from Oakville. Both were VERY apologetic. Seems what I ordered did not ship until the 10th, when the other part of my order shipped on the 2nd of Jan. No-one told me that until I got rather heated at both.

I never got a tracking number or an indication the item was backordered. All I heard is it was shipped.

After speaking with them both now, I have every reason to think my order is indeed in the mail. Better late than never but in my mind they should have indicated this shortly after I placed my order, not 10 days after the fact. I still don't have a tracking number, but I have a Fluance contact now and they will see it's get's taken care of. That's all I wanted...and my order.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2481
WOW, that is good to hear!
I'm glad you got it straightened out. What is the name of this dealer again?

Bronze Member
Username: Bryanh

Fresno, CA

Post Number: 21
Just finished listening to my Fluance speakers for the first couple hours. I need more hardware to mount the surrounds so I only hooked up the mains and played some CDs.

What happens to the sound after they're broken in? Some details are impressing me but I feel the high end is a bit too harsh at higher volumes and the midrange could be a smidge fuller. The stereo imaging is great though, there's a very smooth sweep of sound between them.

I could definitely use a subwoofer for the real low-end stuff but I'm impressed so far by the clean tight 'upper bass' these speakers put out.

Basically I'm pleased enough, but not blown away (yet?). Hoping the sound will get even better.

FWIW I've not yet done any real setup as far as the receiver goes [Denon 2105]. Bass and treble at zero, with default factory settings for the speakers (80Hz crossover and 'Large' as I recall). Wonder if the receiver could be contributing to the slight harshness up high.

Carraig
Unregistered guest
I have my fluance SX speakers paired with the Pioneer 1014 and they sound awesome. On some songs the high end is a bit harsh, but I haven't even messed with my receiver yet either. For movies, these things will blow you away. All I need now is a good sub. BTW, I've never in my life found any product as well packed as these came. You could have dropped the boxes off of a house with no damage. It took more time to get them out of the box then to set them up...jk.

Just my 2 cents,
Carraig

Username: Gavincumm

under $800 you can get a complete Paradigm system in the Cinema CT series. If they are anything like Paradigms previous cinema series, they will be outstanding.

take a look at Paradigm, they have lots of options, such as the atom bookshelves at roughly $200 a pair. These make GREAT speakers for almost any purpose, especially at the price.

With paradigm you get brilliant treble performance, lush midrange, and clean bass.

go to www.paradigm.com and have a look

gavin

EvilWoodchuck
Unregistered guest
I just purchased the Fluance SM938's about three weeks ago. I myself am just getting into the higher end audio equipment, but I know alot of the basics. I have had some professionals come and listen to them, and they were amazed that I got them for $270. They sound amazing. However, when you first get them out of the box they sound very restricted, and not very open sounding. It takes about two weeks for them to start sounding right, and you need to really crank on them a few times. After that they have great bass response, and damn near perfect imaging. You just simply can't buy a better pair of speakers for the price.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2684
Gavin,
The Fluance buyer does not have the $800 budget that you are suggesting with Paradigms. These are entry level budget speakers we are talking about.

Bronze Member

Fresno, CA

Post Number: 27
Just as an update, now that I have had ample time to break in and evaluate my Fluance SX-HTB speakers I am very impressed with them. The fronts alone are easily worth the price of the whole set.

Happily the sound did improve to my ears after the initial listen. The harsh treble is gone, replaced with sweet accuracy. And the bass has become fuller while remaining and precise as before. Music and movies are equally impressive... these speakers 'involve' me in the experience more. I can hear subtle instruments in many of my CDs that I never knew where in the recording.

The only disappointment has been the fragility of the faux wood finish. It's very soft. But when I consider what I paid for them and the sound quality, I can't really complain.

Thanks so much to those who recommended the Fluance speakers. Without you I would have never heard of them and proably would have ended up with something mediocre.

Anonymous

You said "after the first listen," does that mean that for everyone who listens its going to sound a little off at first. Also, do they get very loud if turned up, my room is twice the length of lirong's. And finally would they work well w/ the pioneer reciever series? thanks

Bronze Member

Fresno, CA

Post Number: 28
The Fluance speakers definitely need time to 'break in', and until that has happened they will sound slightly off, yes. Mine do get plenty loud, I have not cranked it all the way up but I can put my Denon 2105 at -10db and hear music clearly all throughout the house (1 story, 1450sqft), and movies with explosions will vibrate the walls/floor/windows.

I actually still haven't purchased a sub yet. The solid performance of the SX-HTB set has made a sub less of a priority for me.

JeffL
Unregistered guest
I just recently came across fluance speakers from a cnet review. I was wondering if anyone has any opinions on me matching them up with a Harman/Kardon AVR-235. Also... is it worth the extra 50 bucks for the SX over the AV?

Anyone find a good sub to pair with them?

KevinP
Unregistered guest
I own the SX package and am very impressed with them. I would recommend spending the extra $50 to get the SX instead of the AV. The main differences between the two are the size of the fronts and the matierals used in all of the speakers. This is an answer to the question about the difference between the two systems offered from Fluance

Q - What is the difference between the AV-HTB and the SX-HTB 5 speaker systems?
A - The AV-HTB and SX-HTB are different performing systems. The SX-HTB was designed with more features and higher fidelity sound. It has an upgraded crossover network, higher end Neodymium tweeters, better drivers, advanced enclosure design, and cabinets with stronger structural bracing. The SX-HTB also has all gold plated binding posts that are configured for bi-amp and bi-wire and floor spikes.

The sub I have with them right now is the Sony SAWM 500 12", it only cost me $170. The bass gets a little boomy at extreme volumes, but if you are looking for a good cheap sub, it works great.

As for the receiver it should work. Fluance speakers are "power hungry speakers" so you do need to have a receiver that can supply ample power. I am using a pioneer VSX-1014TX 110w per channel and it supplies plenty of power.

Hope this helps

Username: Jmorr34

does the SX-HTB only come in the tannish wood color...i was looking at them instead of the AV-HTB, but that color will not match well.

thanks

Anonymous

According to the Fluance web site the SX-HTB speakers come in a "natural beech wood finish." Some of the posters here refer to the "faux wood finish." I know that the boxes are made of an MDF (medium density fiberboard) substrate but does anyone know if they use a real wood veneer on top? I'm really interested in these speakers but if they're covered in some faux vinyl contact-paper like crap I'd rather buy something else.

canpatm
Unregistered guest
Yes they have the vinyl finish. It made me not want to get them, but they sound too good to pass by at the price. So I bought a pair of the SX_HTB PLUS (updated speakers)yesterday and am waiting for them.
I read a review about the finish, he said "if you don't touch them, you won't notice!" And how often do you need to touch them? It was the only thing I've heard bad about them, besides missing a sub. I already have a sub, so I won't have bass problems to worry about.
I'll write more when I get them broken in. I'm hooking them up to a Kenwood 1060VR for now.

Username: Mtb

Ontario Canada

I've had the AV-HTB's for a year now and they sound amazing every time I turn them on. Full rich sound, at low and high volumes. I find myself watching TV at night with my Yamaha 5650 turned down to -80 or lower and still enjoying the sound without disturbing my wife.

When I want to show them off, I put in the Lord of the Rings, first disc, and watch the intro dialogue and battle at -30 or so (DTS audio) for a floor-shaking good time. Most people say it sounds as good in my living room than it did at the theatre.

Please note that my speakers are about 7 to 8 feet away in the front and only 4 feet away in the rear from the sweet spot with about 2 or so feet of space behind the front speakers for breathing/reflection room.

http://mikebabcock.ca/ht

uslaudr
Unregistered guest
I'm considering the Fluance SX package for home theater. I have a Yamaha RX-V757 receiver going into a 500 sq ft room, and was curious if anyone has a similar set-up that could relay to me.

Sarmapper
Unregistered guest
I have the Fluance SX-HTB+ (Note the + is an upgraded version of the former SX-HTB)with a Yamaha RX-V757 receuver and a JBL E250P subwoofer. It is an awsome combo. The Yamaha receivers have the lowest TH noise level of all mid priced and most high priced receivers. The Fluancxe receivers are very accurate (tho the efficiency is low) and the JBL woofer fills exceptionally well with the Fluance speakers. You could pay many $K for systems that you could not say were better. The low efficiency of the Fluance speakers work well with the Yamaha because it can deliver the higher low noise power to get higher crisp volume than you can physically stand. The JBL goes down to 25 Hz (pressure waves not sound) so provides the "feel" you get in movie theaters.

Username: Vtorganix

I just purchased the SXHTB+ (+, upgraded) system for $290 ($225 + $65) from eBay (direct from Fluance, Oakville blew me off when I called them) to pair with Athena AS-P4000 10" 400W Powered Woofer and Onkyo TX-SR503 (7.1 receiver; 75W/CHNL). Total cost of my system so far less than $650.

I also plan to pick up a pair of Fluance AV-BP2 Bi-Polar Surrounds in the very near future. Expected cost ~$100.

Does anyone see any flaw in my plan? I am a newbie-phile so any reccomendations for upgrading my particular system or ideas to improve performace would be GREATLY appreciated!

I'm thinking my results will be pretty sweet! Can't wait till the set arrives on Monday!

Gold Member

Post Number: 6745
I don't see any flaws in your plan. You set up a budget and stuck to it and gathered yourself a decent system. I say, well done!

Username: Mtb

Ontario Canada

Post Number: 2
Jeremiah, I ordered directly from Fluance as well and they were great to deal with. I had my speakers double-boxed by courier within a week and they E-mailed me to make sure I'd got everything as well.

I'll post some close-up photos of my AV-HTBs on my site for anyone who wants to see what the black finish looks like.

http://mikebabcock.ca/ht/
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us