Hey guys This might need to be moved but- no sound out of tv for DVDs

Username: Fullycovered9

Chicago , IL USA

Post Number: 1
here is my setup and my problem, just a small home theater in my apt. :
For some reason I can't get sound out of my tv speakers(32' Wega) when I am playing a dvd. I do get sound b/c I have wired my dvd player to my sony receiver and I get good sound, however I can't seem how to get sound out of both the speakers connected to the receiver and the tv at the same time. I would like to have the tv to have sound, too(duh!).
I have tried several diff. ways to wire audio out of the dvd player(it also has an orange colored 'digital audio' plug that i've plugged into the back of my receiver, but still no dice).

Basically, I don't know how to properly wire from my dvd. I've tried to go from the dvd to the tv then to the receiver, but then I am not getting sound out of my stereo speakers that way(only the tv).

I'm lost here, I'm usually decent at getting audio to work but this one is stumping me.

Chicago , IL USA

Post Number: 2
just a little to add in...my dvd player is kinda crappy(Mintek) but it does have an optical port on the back in addition to the orange(digital) jack.

Chicago , IL USA

Post Number: 3
just a little to add in...my dvd player is kinda crappy(Mintek) but it does have an optical port on the back in addition to the orange(digital) jack. I'm not sure if this matters, I have no problems with sound and maybe I will pickup an optical cable for better sound........However, my main concern here is just to get sound from my dvd player not only out of the speakers connected to the receiver, but also from the tv's speakers.

Silver Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 373
set up the dvd player to send out analog sound

Bronze Member
Username: John_s

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 25
Dan:
There's hundreds of people on this forum qualified to solve your problem. Most are busy on another level. In order to help, a key question must be answered:

Is your receiver digital surround? This is easily determined by observing the "Dolby Digital" logo on its front panel.

johnm
Unregistered guest
Dan, are you sure your running an audio signal to your tv? If your dvd player is attached to your tv using an s-video cable or component R-G-B cables then you only have the picture going there.
Sounds like your using the dvd players audio output to run to the receiver.

Chicago , IL USA

Post Number: 4
Thanks for the responses guys, I know this is a pretty 'newbie' question.
Yes, I'm running a S-Cable to the tv now.
The dvd player has outputs for rca cables(which are now going to the receiver), optical cable input and digital coax(I also have this going into the receiver). I have tried to try different setups w/the connections but I can't get the tv and the reciver to produce sound(btw, I thought that the digital coax would help w/this).
However, after reading on this site(I totally posted this ? too immaturely, sorry) I've learned that w/home theater to basically think of the tv as one would a monitor. So my next step will be to get some better speakers, as they are stock w/the sony receiver.

thanks guys(and girls)!

Bronze Member
Username: Tonytiger

PA US

Post Number: 59
Does the TV have sound if you run it from the coax in of your cable or Sat box?

Chicago , IL USA

Post Number: 5
Yes, sound comes from the tv via the coax in from the digital cable box. I am also connected from cable box to the receiver so I get sound there, too. This was the effect I was looking for when I watch DVDs.

Bronze Member
Username: John_s

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 31
Dan:
Assuming you have the receiver setup to recognize the audio signal from the digital coax cable, you are then free to run audio into the TV via the "RCA cable" from the output of the DVD player. Just make sure you plug these wires into the same audio/video input the S-cable is going into, e.g. "Video 1" or "Video 2" etc. on the TV.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us