Grounding problem or just EMI need advice

Unregistered guest
I have completed the instalation of my home theater system (thanks to all on this site that provided equipment reviews and recommendations)
After getting everything hooked up it appears I am getting what looks like a 60 cycle roll on the plasma.
The system goes like this;
from the wall cable (Time/Warner) into the HDTV/DVR cable box
Component Video out to Yamaha RXV2500
Yamaha component video out to smarthome wall module (RCA to BNC)
Broadcast grade Component cable extends 40 ft.
cable into the back of another smarthome wall module BNC to RCA
Component video cable to Panisonic TH50PHD7UY
All components are on the same electrical circuit.
Mag Clamps everywhere. Equipment rack and components grounded.
any suggestions would be GREAT!!! I am so close.

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 4321

Well, you're probably not going to like the answer I have. It is unlikely anyone could guess where your problem stems from. The best solution I have for you is to unplug each component, one at a time, until you notice the problem diminish or disappear. Trial and error is the best route at this point.

Silver Member
Username: Philman

Richmond, IN USA

Post Number: 114
Follow Jan suggestions, but give a heavy notice to your cables. 60hz noise can enter through poorly shielded cables (ie Cheap ones) or poorly terminated coax. As you go through the process of elimination try substituting cables, if you have em.

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 4342

Very good advice. Some cables are directional in that they will only have the shield terminated at one end. If the cable is installed incorrectly, you can have some problems with 60Hz noise entering the system.

Older cables could also suffer from a deteriorating shield if they have been bent and twisted into a severe position.

« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us