Old pioneer amp VSX-9900S

Username: Mickey04

Post Number: 2
Please advise, I have a approx. 10 year old Pioneer amp VSX-9900s dolby surr. amp and with two cerwin vega 100 watt speakers with two 40 watt EPI rear speakers with a passive sub.woofer.I'm buying a new Hatachi 51" tv a good price 1400.00.Is there any way I can use my old amp and get good sound quality?What would you guys recommend? Any suggestion would be appreciated.Should I just get a new system? What would be a good out of the box home theater sys? Thanks a lot. Mickey

Silver Member
Username: Daedilus

Post Number: 182
Willie.

It depends on what you call good sound. If you have been happy with the sound of your dolby amp up until this point, is the addition of a new tv any reason to be less happy with it?

If You're not happy with the sound then consider upgrading. If you are happy with it continue as is.

I will add this point, if you are not happy with the sound from your very nice old school pioneer receiver, and your cerwin vega fronts, you are going to be exceptionaly disappointed with any "out of the box" theater system you buy.

Replace your seperates with seperates or don't replace them at all.

All the dts in the world won't improve the sound in a HTiB system vs. the one you have.

Try adding an active subwoofer and a new receiver instead of scrapping the whole system. cost you half as much, give you 10 times the sound of a out of the box system.

Username: Mickey04

Post Number: 3
Thanks Mike. When you say a new receiver,my amp is in combination with the reciever.Can you please explain. Any thoughts on new speakers. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Willie

Gold Member
Username: Paul_ohstbucks

Post Number: 1508
Willie,
I'd recommend buying a new receiver that is either 5-7.1 surround.

BTW, I used to own(still do, but it's in retirement) a PioneerVSX9500s which was an even older version of your receiver. It's definitely a quality receiver, but the old obsolete surround technology has to go.

Keep away from the 'out of the box' setups. A new receiver is all you really need, and you dont want to replace your $1000 receiver with a cheap 'theater in a box'. If you're considering new speakers, you might want to go listen to some in person and pick out whatever tickles your fancy. You might also consider a quality subwoofer. Those will make a big difference if you're into movies.

Username: Aidyhk

Tai Kok Tsui, Kowloon Hong Kong

Post Number: 1
Hi

Does anyone know where i can get a manual for a Pioneer vsx 9900s

i have just got one 2nd hand but can not operate it properly as no operation manual

all help would be greatly appreciated

adrian

Unregistered guest
I have a copy of the manual for VSX 9900S. I'm in the middle of making it everything it can be, expect to buy a seperate Digital Sound/Video Processor/Tuner and run it through the 9900S amplifier because it is so clean to the fronts. Probably a seperate center channel amp. Want to get something with DPL IIx without spending too much. Just got S-Video switching to work, amazing how happy it makes me, 10? years later.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us