Samsung HT-WP38 - Why so inexpensive?

Bronze Member
Username: Pookieguy

Post Number: 13
Hello,
I came across this HTIB set and the features are impressive. It's got everything you could ask for, except HDMI of course.

http://product.samsung.com/cgi-bin/nabc/product/b2c_product_detail.jsp?eUser=&pr od_id=HT-WP38TH%2fXAA&selTab=Features

The main feature that is most impressive to me is the rear wireless speakers. It comes with a DVD Player which is supposed to be an A/V Receiver as well. Why is this set only $299?

I'm very tempted. It'll match my Samsung DLP (color scheme) quite nicely.

I'm also wondering, I have the new Samsung HD-950 DVD Player. This set only comes with a unit that acts as both the DVD Player and the Receiver. Think I'll be able to use the receiver only and continue to use my HD-950?

Your thoughts....

Thanks!

--
Mike

Silver Member
Username: Tonytiger

PA US

Post Number: 115
I have the HT-P38 in my small listening room mated to a SONY KLV30XBR900 and a Panasonic DMR-E40S DVD recorder.
The system is fine for a smaller room. I use the Panasonic for DVDs and the Samsung as an Audio distribution system.

Bronze Member
Username: Pookieguy

Post Number: 16
Anthony,
Would you say the sound is at least better than sound for a Samsung DLP or any TV with decent
built-in speakers?

thanks,

--
mike

Silver Member
Username: Tonytiger

PA US

Post Number: 116
The SONY has reasonable speakers but are positioned beside the screen with no subwoofer. From that standpoint just about any hometheater speakers would sound better. Once again, I have a small room, but I was pleasently surprised by the sound that the Samsung was putting out. It has full control over speaker sound and delay. Only drawback is that the sub is a passive (not powered) sub. Did I mention I have this in a small room? So, that is not a problem for me. These are my experiences and your mileage may vary. Try to find one at Circuit City and make sales play it for you (It wasn't hooked up and I requested that they plug it in so I could compare it the comparable SONY, etc.). I had been ready to buy a separate sub to plug into the sub out on the SONY WEGA box for almost the same money.
So, yes , I think it is a large improvement over the stock speakers on the TV.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us