Surround Sound Set up....Help please.

Username: Chris_hensel

Post Number: 1
I have a Harmon Kardon AVR 40 Surround Sound reciever. I have two Denon 4400 power amps running through the reciever. The main speakers run from the power amps, not the reciever.

I tried to hook up two rear speakers to the reciever. No sound. Is there a way to run the main speakers through the power amps and still use rear speakers?

Also, on the back of the reciever: what are "center-pre-out" and "rear-pre-out" rca plugs for?

Thanks

Unregistered guest
hi could you please help.ive recently fitted a surround sound system 5.1 [kenwood brilliant]i beleive the way to set the two surround speakers is to have them as high as poss this is even stated on the manual kenwood ks-206ht. however my brother who,s been to leeds col of music bla bla says all five speakers should be head hight i disagree could you please help solve a argument thanks ray

Username: Reinhart

Post Number: 6
"I have a Harmon Kardon AVR 40 Surround Sound reciever. I have two Denon 4400 power amps running through the reciever. The main speakers run from the power amps, not the reciever.

I tried to hook up two rear speakers to the reciever. No sound. Is there a way to run the main speakers through the power amps and still use rear speakers? "

Some receivers may not allow you to use the amplifier section at all if you are using it as a preamp/processor for outboard amplifiers for any of the speakers.

On the back of the receiver, the "center pre-out" and "rear pre-out" plugs are for driving the center and rear speakers using outboard amplifiers instead of the receiver's internal amplifiers. - Reinhart

Username: Reinhart

Post Number: 7
"hi could you please help.ive recently fitted a surround sound system 5.1 [kenwood brilliant]i beleive the way to set the two surround speakers is to have them as high as poss this is even stated on the manual kenwood ks-206ht. however my brother who,s been to leeds col of music bla bla says all five speakers should be head hight i disagree could you please help solve a argument thanks ray"

There are many different ways to position your speakers for optimum sound based on the speakers themselves and the acoustic characteristics of your listening environment. There is really no right or wrong way as long as the basic idea of where the speakers should be and what they should do are kept in mind.

All sorts of information about speaker placement are available on the internet. Do a Google search and try out stuff that looks interesting.

Try the suggestions from both the receiver's instructions and your brother and choose the one that suits your tastes. - Reinhart
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us