Debating what TV to get

Username: Trojanman

Post Number: 1
Ok, I have a budget of 2 grand and mainly am looking at LCD because I am afraid if burn in w/ plasma. With that in mind I really like the Samsung LN-R328W
and the Sony KDF-42WE655. I would also like to hook up the tv to my computer's all in wonder 9800 pro card (I realize neither tv has dvi but the samsung has rgb and the sony hdmi which I can get a converter for). So my question is are their problems with the bulbs burning out on the sony? Is there a good model I am missing that would fit my criteria? I'm leaning more towards the samsung but I have always loved sony tvs. Thanks for you input and reading my long-winded post.

Silver Member
Username: Daedilus

Post Number: 139
First and formost only the samsung is a true LCD tv, the sony is a rear projection LCD using an LCD bulb... obviously you know about it using a bulb, but the picture difference between an LCD and a rear projection LCD is quite noticable.

As far as clarity of picture, these 2 sets are not comparable.

In the field i run into a lot of myths concerning plasmas, so i can't help but ask why you are afraid of burning an image into your plasma...

Have you ever owned a CRT TV or Monitor?

Did you ever burn an image into it?

The plasma is no more or less susceptable to having an image burned into it than any standard tube crt. So long ans you dont disable your screen saver for longer than a few hours it will never be an issue.

True LCDs have unrivaled picture quality on hi def still pictures, or pictures with limited motion. Thier main failing is in handling rapid motion. Little trails of pixels follow rapidly moving objects on the screen because they cannot refresh as well as some other mediums.

For the money you are looking to spend i would suggest focusing on either true LCD's or DLP Tv's

The Panasonic DLP has one of the best hi def pictures i have ever seen, excepting true lcd on still shots, and it handled motion almost as well as a plasma.

That picture however was unique to the Panasonic brand, and it was due to the Texas Instruments chipset and firmware they use.

So in short not all DLP's are created equal.

Username: Trojanman

Post Number: 2
Thanks for your input, yes I knew the sony was rear lcd projection and the Samsung was pure lcd. The specs on the Samsung are outstanding as far as I can see though, HD-Grade 1366(H) x 768(V) Pixel Resolution, 3000:1 contrast, supports (480i/480p/720p/1080i)and a 12ms response time. Microsoft chose the 23' model to be used in Xbox 360 kiosks http://www.engadget.com/entry/1234000030044719/

I looked at the dlp Samsung HL-P5085W but I read that some models have a problem with the audio being off sync, otherwise I might consider it. Thanks againg for any input.

Silver Member
Username: Dmwiley

Post Number: 845
"True LCDs have unrivaled picture quality on hi def still pictures, or pictures with limited motion." Wrong. CRTs have the best HD images, period. If you buy Samsung, please consider the extended warranty. You will likely need it.

Silver Member

Post Number: 152
I have never seen a crt that would remotely compare with a still 1080 image on an lcd.

Silver Member
Username: Joe_c

Oakwood, Ga

Post Number: 480
come to my house, my 32" toshiba cinema series rivals the new 1080p product out there and it's not as good as the top sony's.

Silver Member

Post Number: 153
/shrug

I'm demo'ing the top sony HD crt's right next to the lcd's in my showroom (they come between lcd projection and SD's), and i havent sold a crt to a client who could afford lcd or better in 4 months.

It damn sure isn't the overwhelming great picture of the crt's causing them not to sell.

Silver Member

Post Number: 848
Michael, people do dumb things all the time-like buying Samsung when the conventional wisdom strongly indicates those products are not reliable. Others simply prefer the light weight and placement flexibility of LCDs and Plasmas. Do your research and you will find that all the leading experts agree that CRTs still produce the best HD image. If you properly calibrate the Sony 34XBR960, you will not find a better HD image, period. This assumes, of course, that one is capable of determining when one image is better, i.e., more life like, than another. Some people prefer cartoon like settings and think they look great. Bottom line: Joe is right whether you accept it or not.

Silver Member

Post Number: 154
we will just have to agree to disagree then, I was watching the HD discovery presentation on Ireland on both the CRT's and the LCD's and The picture on the LCD was absolutely stunning.

The Crt looked good, but nothing like the vibrance of color the LCD was capable of.

Silver Member

Post Number: 853
Obviously, you're one of the cartoon guys. Some folks don't recognize the difference between fact and fiction. There is only one test: how close does it come to reproducing the real thing. Real life does not look cartoonish with overly saturated colors in every scene. Check flesh tones. Accept your bias and move on.

Silver Member

Post Number: 162
You say that as though I have absolutely no right to my opinion.

Obviously anyone who would dare to disagree with the Magnificent Lord High Inquisitor Dale, Champion of the Tv's, Defender of His Enormous Manhood, is simply wrong, not of a different opinion.

I'll tell you what, ill accept my bias and you can accept being an ego-maniac, and we can part ways then, instead of simply agreeing to disagree.

Silver Member

Post Number: 857
Michael, you have a right to your opinion. But all opinions are not created equal and worthy of equal consideration. Some folks were of the opinion that the world was flat until they were confronted with facts proving otherwise. Some still clung to that notion. Any person who tenaciously holds onto his opinions despite facts proving such opinions contain no truth might be characterized in many not too flattering ways. I'll leave the name calling to you. This is not personal despite your crude attempt to make it so. I'm only concerned when posters intentionally or unintentionally mislead readers. I'm not interested in whether you agree or disagree with me or whether you like or dislike my post.

Username: Zonk1972

I bought a Sony 50WE655for $2199 at Vanns.com online. it was no tax and free shipping. So, if you were considering the 42" Sony, go for the 50" Sony. It has built in HDTV tuner and Cable card and has many good ratings.

Silver Member

Post Number: 164
Dale,
If your intention is not to make it personal, Please refrain from directly quoting me and then posting the one word follow up "Wrong". Secondly, you do not have a single post in this thread which does not address me directly and negatively. If your intentions were not to make it personal, you failed miserably.

My opinion on the best looking hi def still picture coming from true lcd's is no more wrong than your misguided belief that people should somehow sacrifice vibrant colors in thier systems because people have limitations of vision.

If your idea of hi-def is to see nothing better than you are capable of seeing while looking out the window, what's the point?

To my eye i want every vibrant nuance of detail and resolution the picture is capable of. Not what equals real life.

Gold Member
Username: Paul_ohstbucks

Post Number: 1409
Michael,
Unless you watch TV viewing from a position as if you were trying to bank a baseline jumpshot, it's a given that RP-CRTs have better quality HD pictures. However, there are many reasons that one would still want to buy a LCD including their smaller size and weight.

If the larger size or weight of CRTs isnt an issue, the CRT is still the best choice.

Silver Member

Post Number: 165
Well, im not going to argue it anymore, My opinion still stands that, having seen both, side by side with the same 1080i picture, I would still choose the Sony LCD over the sony CRT even in the 16x9 tube.

It just looks better to me, and sales seem to agree.

btw, what is "bank a baseline jumpshot"?

Silver Member

Post Number: 861
"If your idea of hi-def is to see nothing better than you are capable of seeing while looking out the window, what's the point?" Michael, my poor misguided friend, that is the point. If reality isn't your frame of reference, what is? As I indicated, you are obviously one of the cartoon guys. Unfortunate that you are in a position to mislead so many others.

Silver Member

Post Number: 862
Oh, by the way, if my posted responses to you are negative (I really don't have time to check each one), perhaps you frequently purvey incorrect information. This in and of itself however, does not make it personal. If you want personal, here it is: you're an idiot. Now that's personal.

Silver Member

Post Number: 863
Paul, thank you. Unfortunately, facts have no effect on some people. They still believe the earth is flat. That's ok until they try to convince others of the same thing.

Silver Member
Username: Joe_c

Oakwood, Ga

Post Number: 494
Michael, we believe that the purchases we make are the best ones. How else would we be happy with them and justify the money for them. I am sorry to tell you that if a salesman agreed that the top lcd projection has better detail that the top crt based projection (I'm not even talking crt tube televisions cause you would be an idiot to even compae those two) he probably knows nothing but what he has seen in the box store that you bought it from. Now if you look on these and other forums of people who have been around this stuff and live and breath it, they all agree that the top crt projection tv's still the top dog as far as detail at high def. than all the other "projection" style tv's out there. I have had the opportunity to audition my tv along side lcd projection and dlp projection tv's with a single feed split to all three. Mine won out ,not by way much , but noticably more vibrant, which is not surprising considering the others were new designs. They have had quite a long time to perfect the crt units. The other styles are quite new and will need some time for the manufacturers to perfect them in my humble opinion.

Silver Member

Post Number: 167
See, now here is a difference, between paul and Joseph, this is the first time a Projection CRT has been mentioned.

Up until the posts last night, No one had said anything about projection CRT's, Just CRT's.

I was wondering how you folks could be so dense as to compare a tube CRT to a LCD hi def image.

I have not seen a crt projection yet, as none of the brands we sell have one out yet, Pioneer elite, Sony, Electrograph...

I will have to reserve judgment till i see one.

Silver Member

Post Number: 864
You guys are wasting your time with Michael. Nice try however. Just let him go about his poor misguided way. As they often say, a little learning is a dangerous thing.

engine giver
Unregistered guest
Michael like Johnny. Both dumbo.

phart buster
Unregistered guest
Michael knows a little, crows a lot.

Username: Kenney9226

Thrill City, VA

Post Number: 4
I think Dale M Wiley can't comprehend that other people just might have a different opinion than himself, and he feel that using large words and a condescending demeanor will cause all readers to immediately defer to his clearly superior intellect.

Silver Member

Post Number: 879
Mr. or Ms. McKane, thank you so much for your kind words("his clearly superior intellect"). I'm otherwise too modest to comment. I'm sure the original poster appreciates your insight.

Anonymous

I have been reading the posts here and my goodness that Dale is a pompous jerk. Well maybe he can agree with this. Is pompous debatable?

Gold Member
Username: Paul_ohstbucks

Post Number: 1722
To me, the annoying ones are those who post stupid remarks under the moniker "anonymous".

Username: Kenney9226

Thrill City, VA

Post Number: 6
Yeah, just like "Dale M Wiley" is HIS real name?

Anonymous

I have a Mitsubishi rear projection CRT 55" HDTV and compared to my in-laws Samsung DLP there is no comparison, the Mitsubishi looks 5 times better. My Panasonic 34" CRT HDTV looks better than the Sam DLP. More money doesn't mean a better picture.

<><

Username: Turnkey

Roseville, CA United States

Michael is totally entitled to his opinion, just as Dale is, although he comes off as a bit of a self centered know it all whose opinion is the only one that matters. I have an Sharp Aquos 45'LCD and think it is the bomb, so there!. In all honestly this set has an incredible picture, no burn in threat, is lighter, runs cooler, and looks as good as plasma. With NO pixelation or artifacts in fast motion. We all have our preferred systems and could argue their merits all day long. But there is no need to talk down to someone. If Dale was that rude and condescending to me face to face he would be sporting a fat lip. But that's just me.

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 3424
Hello Jesse,
I see you are from Roseville. i used to live there 8 years ago, actually Elk Grove! Is Denio's auction still around?

cheers

Username: Turnkey

Roseville, CA United States

Post Number: 3
Yes, it's still there and doing a land office business. I go about once a month to see what' new.

Cheers yourself
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us