Don't let this happen to you

Username: Square_eyes

Canada

Post Number: 9
As a public service announcement, listen up.

I have recently spent 2 years busting my butt completely gutting & renovating our home and was 95% finished. My last project was to create a new, dedicated HT room downstairs. It was a completely unfinished room, so this involved everything from new walls, drywall, insulation, wiring, conduit, lighting, crown & baseboards, primer/paint etc. I was just getting ready to have the carpet installed.
On June 9th, I was out for several hours and returned home to find the house half destroyed by water from a plumbing failure in an upstairs bathroom. This of course included a portion of the new HT room. After the amount of work involved to the house, this has been devastating. Insured? Yes, but enormously disruptive just the same........new hardwood floors ruined too.

My point is this: Look in your bathroom and kitchen cabinets, and at your toilet supply lines. If you have any of those grey plastic supply pipes that run up from the shut-off to the tap, get rid of them! I have since learned that these fail on a regular basis, and a BRAIDED STEEL line is the only way to go. It's cheap insurance, and I would have paid many times their price had I known.

Maybe the Panasonic AE700 will be a little cheaper when I make the delayed purchase. Sigh........

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 4190

Carl - The first shop where I sold HiFi had an ownwer that can do you one better. He lived above the store and decided to put in a swimming pool on the roof above the speaker demonstration room. Did it leak? What do you think?

Username: Tubetone

St. Louis , MO USA

Post Number: 8
Jan,
Let me quess, was that Hi Fi-Fo Fum in St. Louis?
Email me back at rjohns@thesoundroom.com I'm sure you have some stories

Silver Member
Username: Daedilus

Post Number: 126
aye, steel braid clad water lines are available on the market now, rubber hose encased in a steel braid, as the name suggests.

Prevents any buldge ruptures or physical damage to the water lines. totaly worth the 20 bucks a hose.

If you rent, take them with you.

Oh... subnote, if you rent or live in a high rise complex YOU yes YOU are responsible for damage for all tenants from ruptures of water lines outside the walls of your dwelling.

Upload

Canada

Post Number: 10
The line itself rarely, if ever fails, and in regard to the grey plastic line that I was refering to, it's bomb-proof it's so tuff, but it's the retarded compression fitting on the end that is the problem. (thanks a lot designers and CSA for approving these time bombs - I hope your homes get destroyed by water).

Upload

Silver Member
Username: Joe_c

Oakwood, Ga

Post Number: 461
Carl, if you get in touch with the hba in your area you should get reimbursed for the damage. Those pipes were used in my parents neighborhood and their neighbor's went kaput and the company who made the pipes paid for replacement and damage. FYI

Bronze Member

Canada

Post Number: 11
hba??? whassat? I'm in Canada and my home insurance policy covers everything.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us