DTS ES discreet 6.1 v.s. DD EX

Username: Bert_coppens

Post Number: 1
Hello

I read a lot that DTS is better than Dolby Digital and that the sound is clearer. But is this the same with DTS ES? Is DTS ES 6.1 better than DD EX? I'm planning to buy a receiver and a satelite speaker set with Christmas. In this case I'm thinking of the LOTR EE trology witch supports this 2 formats.

And I have another question. If I have 7 speakers, witch you normally only use for movies that support THX surround EX, and I use the DTS ES 6 channel decoder. Will both my 2 back speakers give sound. Or only 1 of the 2 back speakers. Can I create this mono effect for the 2 backspeakers so not only my right back speaker or only my richt back speaker will work but that they both give the same sound? Cause for DTS ES you normally only have 1 backspeaker, right?

And is there any difference between DTS to DTS ES and DD to DD EX in quality exept for the more channel inputs?

And does TV or HDTV support Dolby Digital or DTS or does TV still work with stereo? So if a film gets aired on TV, will they showed it in stereo sound or in DD or DTS?

And if you pick DTS ES or THX certified on your reciever, does it make the sound better when you pick just Dolby Digital or DTS on your DVD then when you would pick just Dolby Digital or DTS on your receiver.

Silver Member
Username: Dmwiley

Post Number: 830
Do your research hoppergrass. Christmas is a long ways off.

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 4191

The cypher to the code is; every time you add a letter or numeral, the sound gets better. That's why I listen most often in stereo, far less confusing and lots less to read.

Silver Member
Username: Dmwiley

Post Number: 831
I know exactly what you mean.

Silver Member
Username: Thx_3417

Bournemouth, Dorset United Kingdom

Post Number: 379
70mm six-track Dolby stereo is a whole lot better with no comparison to the sound unlike Dolby digital.

But you are forgetting one thing 13 years ago multi-channel six-track in the home was unheard of and the 70mm six-track Dolby magnetic experience was the only true way to enjoy a film.

70mm six-track Dolby stereo presentations are still around today it's know how to find them and when there in THX as well, totally awesome, I thinking about going up to York it's up north a bit in the United Kingdom for "2001: A Space Odyssey" has I have never seen heard or felt it in a Lucasfilm THX sound system theatre.

So come July 25th 2005, "2001" is still the ultimate trip....

And as a former cinema projectionist I know what the professional THX 3417 X-over monitor, sound system feels like and touching one in the projection booth magic....

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 4196

Ashley - What the hell do your posts mean?

Silver Member
Username: Daedilus

Post Number: 131
Jan, In a phrase:

If you cant't dazzle them with brilliance, Baffle them with bullshit.

Username: Bert_coppens

Post Number: 2
I'm sorry, this is all quit new to me. Few months ago I wasn't that busy with home theater. I actually did some research myself but some questions stay unanswered.

Can you please help me with what you know? I don't want just to listen in stereo alone in the future.

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 4203

Bert - I can't speak for Michael, but, no, I can't help you with what I know. It's taken me thirty five years to know what I know and it doesn't all fit into one paragraph.

I know you'd prefer a nice simple answer to all your questions, but the world doesn't work that way. What you've asked in your original post is quite a bit of information that would require quite a bit of an answer.

And, if you read through the forum and some of the acompanying articles that are referenced by the members, you will learn what you want to know. The information is out there, you just have to find it. That's what search engines were created for.

Now I know you thought that's what this forum was for. Dispensing information. And you are correct. But no one can take anyone by the hand and teach them everything they know in one fell swoop. (Well, Paul could tell you everything he knows in just one sentence; but that's another issue.)

Why don't you try this, Bert; give us one question at a time and you will probably get the answer you desire. What's troubling you the most?

Bronze Member
Username: Thalazy

San Ramon, California U.S.A

Post Number: 33
DTS is better than DD period (you can find out why by checking it out on the internet, through a search engine, but the short and to the point answer is yes) DTS takes up more space so it is rarely used. Sometimes the dd track is just slightly less favorible. DTS ES and DD EX will make use of up to 7.1 sound, so if you have an extra back center speaker, it will make use of it.Dts ES and DD Ex are just sound created for 6.1 amd 7.1 with DD Ex also backwards compatible(it'll be 5.1 if you have that kind of system) As far as DD and DTS on tv, It depends on the reciever (cable box or Satellite box) If you have a box that can output Dolby Digital (I have yet to have one that can do dts). It depends on the channel, etc. On my comcast it'll only output DD sound on hdtv channels, even though it's dd on the premium channels, it'll only output dd on the HD version of that channel. It should sound the same as on a dvd version of the film, but it depends if you use an optical cable or not. Hope this helps you a little bit.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us