Best type of Area Rug to absorb sound

Bronze Member
Username: Thephatp

Post Number: 26
Ok, I've never owned a HT system before, so I'm quite new at this. Our living room is going to be all ceramic tile, so we have to lay an area rug down. My wife and I have finally agreed--we are going to up down a shag rug.

So what is the best material for absorbing sound? (and please rank these, just in case I can't find the best one for a reasonable price!)

- 100% cotton
- 100% wool
- Mix of wool and cotton
- 100% Modacrylic
- 100% Polypropylene

I want to put a thick pad underneath the rug. Any suggestions for the best sound absorbing pad??

Thanks!

Gold Member
Username: Paul_ohstbucks

Post Number: 1245
Stick with a combo of whatever is most stain resistant, durable, and comfortable in bare feet. There's no need to go overboard and overcomplicate things.

Good luck.

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 4090

Wool has the best absorption qualities when talking soundwaves. If you wish to go with a blend, have the highest wool content possible. Avoid synthetics, they have minimal sound absortion. Place the rug to catch first reflections from the speakers; you find these with a mirror or other reflective surface while sitting in your listening position.

The pad is not as important. Make it an open cell structure. What you want is as much space possible between the rug, the floor and the reflections that come back through the rug from the floor. Using two area rugs that overlap at diagonals will offer better bass response and less harshness in the top end.

As a rule any rug is frequency selective. The more open the weave the more absorption can take place. If the weave is fairly tight, the rug will reflect certain frequencies back while dulling others and absorbing still others.

Remember the other highly reflective surface in your room is the ceiling. Treatment on that surface can also benefit the sound quality.

How much is required on both horizontal surfaces is a matter of the speakers you own. Some speakers have much greater vertical dispersion than others. Designs designated as MTM or d'Appolito configurations have good horizontal dispersion while limiting the vertical element.

For other ideas on room treatment, try this thread:

https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/home-audio/141349.html

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 4091

https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/accessories/84788.html
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us