Tough room with all Ceramic Tile--Suggestions on speakers?

Bronze Member
Username: Thephatp

Post Number: 23
Man, I wish I had looked a little more closely at the forum description. I've posted some of this elsewhere (in speakers in home audio), but maybe others here can help!

My living room is very much an open floor plan.
http://aus.drhorton.com/plan.aspx?PlanId=1071

The TV wall (front) is an interior wall; right wall is an exterior wall; left wall is a half wall (overlooking dining room), and in back, there is no wall--it's open to the kitchen bar (like a half wall) and open to the breakfast nook.

What's worse, it is ALL CERAMIC tile. The living, dining, kitchen, and breakfast are all ceramic. So there really is nothing to absorb the sound. I will likely lay an area rug in the living room, but obviously not enough to cover the whole room. And the breakfast area and kitchen will have all ceramic.

I've looked at quite a few speakers and I've narrowed down to this:

- Klipsch Ref-25 series (RF-25s, RC-25, RB-25s, RS-25s, sub is TBD)
- Acoustech (though I know very little about them--any opinions?)
- Axiom (also know very little--any opinions?)

I LOVED, LOVED the Klipsch RF-25s (and the rest of the setup), and so most people say, then just buy what you love. Well, the Klipsch are on the brighter side of speakers, and I'm wondering if it will be overkill in my room. I'm really worried about listening fatigue, as well, because I have hearing loss that has increased sensitivity to sounds. I wasn't impressed with Paradigm. B&W was good, but not like Klipsch. Haven't demo'ed the others. Also, I can't convince my wife to put up diffusers. So basically, I'll have an area rug, upholstered (not leather) couch and chair, and curtains on the windows.

Any suggestions?

Here are my questions in a nutshell:
- Are Acoustech bright, warm, or neutral?
- Are Axiom bright, warm, or neutral?
- Will the Klipsch be overly bright?
- Will I suffer from listening fatigue?
- Is there anything else I can do in this room without diffusers?
- Is there any other brand of speakers I should REALLY consider?

I have a price point of about $1500-$1700 for 5.1 setup. I can do it in a sale right now on Klipsch with the setup mentioned above for $1825 minus the RS-25s. I will probably cut the RB-25s for now to get the price down if I go this way.

Thanks in advance for the help! (BTW, if you've read this in one of the other threads in the Home Audio section, I apologize for the repeat; but I REALLY need some advice.)

Bronze Member

Post Number: 24
Oh, and one last question...

Am I doomed in this room for HT and music?

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 4070

Unless you treat the room and not the speakers, yes, you will have problems.

Read this thread and see if you find any ideas:

https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/home-audio/141349.html

Any time you begin with hearing loss you have problems that are very difficult to solve because no one can hear what you can hear.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 25
can anyone give me information regarding the two brands of speakers I asked about above? (Axiom and Acoustech)

Thanks

Bronze Member
Username: Daedilus

Post Number: 71
I have never heard a pair of Axiom speakers, but after going to their website and looking at specs, im Dubious.

Im dubious of:

Speaker companies who use more speakers in slightly taller towers to distinguish thier models.

40" tall towers with 2 woofers that only weigh 55 lbs.

A main system speaker with a 4 ohm impedance.

Speaker companies that dont talk anywhere about the SPEAKERS used in their system.

Paying 1300 dollars US for ANY speaker I havent heard in a showroom.

Ill do a little more research on the makers after work today and see if i can find any hard facts on thier components.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 27
hey Michael, any luck?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 75
After researching both manufacturers i am unable to recommend either.

Ironic though it be, the 4 ohm Axioms seem to be the better of the 2, but i could never go with a 4 ohm speaker as it curtails your choice of amps / receivers too much, introducing more distortion than is required in your average receiver.

Further the mismatch in impedance between thier centers / surrounds and their front mains is downright baffling.

Above all for the suggested budget of $1700 you could do much better.

The Acoustechs quality level of manufacturing can be equalled at half the price or lower in the Athena brand made in Canada. Some of thier designs are unique, particularly the upgradeable tower speakers, but the prices are above board for the product you are receiving.

A full Definitive Technology system, suggested retail price:

2) BP 1.2x bipolar surrounds $350
2) power monitor 500's with integral subs $850
1) pro center 100 $200
1) pro sub 60 8" $280

280+
-------
$1680

and thats retail from a store. Buy remanufactured with full warranty and save money and get a 12 inch sub instead of 8 inch :p

http://www.definitivetech.com/

Bronze Member

Post Number: 28
thanks for the help and research. I would have done the same, but I really don't know much about impedance, ohms, etc. I haven't really read that much about it. Just trying to go off of suggestions and listening for now. Heck, I'm young, so I figure I still have a while to learn! :-)

Bronze Member

Post Number: 83
Np, Enjoy :-)

Btw just for a lark I was redoing one of the sound rooms at the shop today and set this particular configuration up just to hear what it sounded like. I hooked all 3 subs in the system up to LFE and was pleasently surprised with the quality of the low end with the 3 smaller subs. It's a really good sounding entry level system!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us