DTS vs Dolby Digital - with no subwoofer

Victor1234
Unregistered guest
Wonder if anybody else tried this...

I have a 5 speaker surround system without a subwoofer. My left and right are Klipsch Reference 3 floor standing speakers and they have 8" woofers. So for most music, the bass is adequate.

Here's the interesting thing. I was watching Eagle's Hell Freezes Over the other day and noticed that when I switched to Dolby Digital, the bass level was quite good, but as soon as I switched to DTS, all the low end went missing. I didn't change anything but to switch it back and forth from DD to DTS and the difference was huge. DTS just didn't have the same soft bass that DD had.

Does anyone have any idea why this is? Does one format work better diverting bass information to the main speakers than another? I already have my amp set such that my left and right speakers are "large".

Thanks for the help.

Victor

Bronze Member
Username: Daedilus

Post Number: 52
Yes. DTS format has a channel specifically encoded for the subwoofer. If you use it without a subwoofer you are missing a channel.

DTS usually bypasses the amps internal speaker configurations and puts the audio straight to the individual channels doing away with the amps internal channel configurations, excepting individual channel level.

This is due to the fact that the DTS audio and levels have already been optimized in the studio.

Given your current configuration you will do much better to continue to send a processed dolby signal with your front speakers set to large and your subwoofer set to none in the setup menu.

Some amps have further abilities in this area, if you post your amps model number ill see if anything else can be tweaked.

Victor1234
Unregistered guest
Thanks Michael,

You're right. I played with it more yesterday and realized that even though in my receiver I set subwoofer to "off", and center channel to "small", while the front speakers are set to 'large", it's still sending all of the bass signal to the center channel. I put my ears right up against the left and right speakers and I couldn't hear any bass guitar coming out of them at all.

So instead of utilizing the large floor standing speakers to produce nice and warm bass, it's forcing the small center speaker to do the work.

It's like DTS is saying that if there is no sub, it'll automatically send the bass to the center regardless of the channel configuration.

To answer your question, my amp is a Panasonic SA- HE70.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 59
OK.

If your surrounds and center are noticably less capable of producing bass than your Klipsch, set center size to large, and try this config:

Try throwing it into music mode (yes, for your movies), in pro logic field. Without a sub this will allow you to enguage thier "center width control".

Set center width to middle to high, depending on sound, This will transfer much of the centers sound to the front left and right speakers, thus enhancing the Low frequency being produced by the fronts... (im not sure if this option is available in DTS mode, if it is, would be an awesome option for your system.)

Unfortunately, your amp is not a true 5 channel (meaning it does not put equal wattage and source to all channels). (2) 15 watt amps are enguaged for surround. Likewise for the "Party" mode for fronts + surrounds.

You may actually end up with a better overall sound in a party mode for listening to stereo TV programs.

I know you haven't mentioned it as an option, but i will point out that some very decent little subs are available factory reconditioned direct from manufacturer with full warranty on EBay in the 100 dollar range for an 8" ranging to 200 dollar range for a 12".

To set center width, after choosing "Dolby pro logic Music" press effect, to select C-width, then use vol + and - to adjust out and in.

Username: Victor1234

Post Number: 1
Thanks Michael,

It's late now so I'll try your suggestion with center width tomorrow. I am pretty sure the option isn't available in DTS mode. I'll play with it and see what difference it makes on DD.

Here are 2 follow up questions:

You explained that my amp isn't a true 5 channel since it does not put equal wattage and source to all channels. But when I checked the manual it indicated that the amp outputs 100W to front, center and surround speakers. Am I missing something?

Secondly, by now I am pretty convinced that I should invest in a sub. Since I have Klipsch Reference front speakers, and Klipsch Synergy Center speakers (the latter a step down from the former), should I get a Reference sub or a Synergy sub. Synergy sub for sure is quite a lot cheaper. I wouldn't mind investing some extra money if the Reference subs are much better. But is there a thinking that your sub should match to certain speakers, or is matching pretty irrelevant? Or would one say that since my Synergy is the 'weakest link', I would be wasting money by getting nicer subs?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 66
You are correct regarding your amps 5 channel status, When i went to Panasoncs website to pull the manual, they didnt have one avail for your model, so i got the one for the model below yours, as the setup menus are usually identical model to model for processing fields. While i was looking over the specs later i forgot i was looking at a different models specs :p

With regard to a sub choice, It's really a matter of call. I usually advise on saving to get what you want, a closet full of old stereo equipment is only a good thing if you have sons or nephews :p

I will however point out that the Sub is the one speaker that doesn't have to be married in properties to the other speakers in your system.

The ability to set the level at which the sub picks up the low end of your systems cutoff via variable crossovers and set up menus usually mates them quite nicely.

The only preclusion to this is making sure your sub has the kahonies to keep up with your speakers. Nothing is more annoying than having your speakers drown out your sub when you are in the mood for a little "bleeding ear mode".

Make sure the sub you choose is of a sufficient size and power to easily keep up with the rest of your system and the pickup / letoff points can be mated to your speakers with the crossovers.

I would suggest no less than a 12" sub... Cant help but mention how much i L-O-V-E my definitive technology subercube
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us