Flooring Question

Username: Kriscad

Fayetteville, TN USA

Post Number: 8
This HT bug is starting to kill me! lol

Anyway - my room is on the 3rd floor of the house above the kitchen area... the base floor is 3/4 tounge n groove plywood. I had pulled it up and put R30 insulation then screwed it back down.

Then I put down 30 lb felt (which I know doesn't help much), then a new 3/4 Advantek Subfloor... which I just finished screwing it all down and sealing all the seams on it.

My Question is this: Before I start working on installing the carpet... I am itching to buy a vinyl-nitrile rolls to lay down to help sound proof it more: http://www.soundproofing.org/sales/prices.html

Is this over kill? If not, what thickness size would you suggest?

Bronze Member
Username: Daedilus

Post Number: 42
It depends entirely on how much soundproofing you require.

If your tollerance for bleed through noise in the kitchen is zero then you are going to break the bank trying to achieve that.

I would say go with the vinyl and put a smaller subwoofer located right behind the seating area.

If an 8 inch sub is pressed right up against your seat you should be able to soundproof against it pretty good, however by the time to get into the realm of 12 inch + subs No amount of soundproofing is going to stop it. As low frequency soundwaves take several feet to fully form.

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 4041

I can only assume you are going about this project without the assistance of an acoustic engineer or anyone versed in acoustics and sound transmission. Your R30 insulation is all but worthless in damping any frequencies beneath 80-120Hz. It is less effective if it has been compressed to fit in the space of the floor joists. Its ability to damp frequency transmission is further compromised if there is not at least a minimum of 1" air space between the insulation and the floor/ceiling surfaces it interfaces.

The other materials you have used are at best frequency selective when it comes to damping noise transmission. That means they will eliminate some frequencies, slow others and be totally transparent to still others. The lower the frequency, the less effective they become.

The roll flooring you are considering gives no specifications regarding its efficacy at low frequencies. I would call the manufacturer for some information regarding the dB amount of reduction this material provides at varying frequencies. If it doesn't do much until you've layed down four inches of material, then you have your answer.

The problem you will find is the transmission of low frequencies is largely sympathetic vibration and the length of the soundwave you are trying to supress. Unless you provided a disconnect from the floor joists to the ceiling rafters and the upstairs to the downstairs wall studs, you have left a simple, short path for low frequency signals to travel. In most instances, separating the two spaces is the only commercially effective way (short of 12" of concrete) to isolate the rooms from low frequencies traveling between the spaces.

I honestly doubt the roll flooring will be able to supress very much at low frequencies. My suggestion would be; A) listen only to chamber music, B) listen at lower volumes or C) buy some good quality headphones for those times you wish to damage your hearing.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 61
Just a thought i had...

You might try Vermiculite. Its an agricultural product used as a wetting agent for soil...

Its primary function is that it has the ability to absorb nearly 30 times its weight in water and hold it untill wicking action pulls it out.

physical properties that may relate to your situation, however, are that it is light, densly packed when dry, and likely has a resonance frequency below what would be produced in your situation.

I have absolutely no scientific data to back this thought up, but having worked long with vermiculite and long with home audio, it just struck me that this stuff would probably work if spread between the floors of your home...

You could even drill holes in the top-plates of your walls and fill the stud spaces with it.

The fact that it is comprised of small, seemingly weightless granuals would lead it to have a resonance frequency so low it would almost take an earthquake to move any large accumulation of it.

Your primary enemy would be moisture. If the material ever became wet due to a burst pipe or some other significant water event in the floor or wall, the flooring or sheetrock would have to be removed and the area re-done...

But the more i think about it, thats true no matter what your walls or floor are made of.

Addendum: Water events would have to be limited, as with this materials ability to hold 30 times its weight, a totaly uncontrolled release of water could conceivabley cause enough weight to be built up to facilitate the collapse of the floor.

But a good coating of waterproof polyeurathane on the floor would protect you from anything up to a mop bucket being spilt... and you figure a burst pipe or a flood is going to take out any wall or floor it touches anyway.

As far as i know, no one has ever even tried this stuff for soundproofing, but i cant help but feel it would do an amazing job. Hop down to your local hardware stores planting section and have a look at this stuff. dont cost nothing to look.

Its cheap as hell, weighs nothing, so no worries of overloading your walls/floor, and has the deadening properties of sand without the weight.

Fayetteville, TN USA

Post Number: 9
sorry for the delay in writing back - was out of town

thanks for the feedback from all 3 of you... :-)

Silver Member
Username: Thx_3417

Bournemouth, Dorset United Kingdom

Post Number: 317
Lead, I read some time ago there is this lead material that was demonstrated on a science program call "Tomorrow's World" many years ago and boy did it work wonder it must have cut say a 90db sound down as much as 40db!

But please don't quote me on that I'm only going by memory.

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 4102

Lead is most effective if you wear it as a helmet. A bit hot but effective. Maybe you could make it look like Batman.

Silver Member

Post Number: 328
Jan
Are you taking the piss, or do you want to help this guy out or not and, no it's no joke what I'm talking about this lead martial I saw many years ago does work have a fish around and the internet, I'm to tried at the moment and I'm eating and type go for it Jan

Silver Member
Username: Joe_c

Oakwood, Ga

Post Number: 428
rotflmao!!! Jan I nearly pissed myself.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 80
it is illegal to use lead in a residential installation within the interior of the building in the united states and most other modern nations.

Cant even use it in the paint anymore.

The whole loose eye'd 3 legged children thing was just getting to be too big of an annoyance

Gold Member

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 4106

SHHH. Paul will know you're talking about him.

Silver Member

Post Number: 330
Well maybe gentlemen this can help when I get stressed out about NC noise ratings I just look at Gillian, arr no worries sport.Upload

Bronze Member

Post Number: 87
I'm not sure how this picture relates to the topic, Is this a photo of a woman with flooring problems?

Upload

Silver Member

Post Number: 333
Dame sexy too, she make a great saleswoman though.

Silver Member

Post Number: 334
Although this flooring seams like a case for the X-files!

Play it softly but if you read my thread on limiting the Armageddon's?

Then limiting the sound system may help, maybe!

Silver Member

Oakwood, Ga

Post Number: 434
Andy's girlfriendUpload

Silver Member

Post Number: 336
Joseph

Now that is getting personal now

You just pumped the neighbour's cat again have you or are you always this slack eyed one eyed beaver in the evenings.

UploadUpload

Silver Member

Oakwood, Ga

Post Number: 435
Andy out on the townUpload

Silver Member

Post Number: 338
Upload
Agent scully, says try going to the beach bag up all the sand you can take, and take it back home and rip the floorboards up and pour the sand in-between the floor joists.

There shorted and that was a lot cheaper than going down to the hardware store Wasn't it.

No, no, I'm not Kidding it really does work!

Fayetteville, TN USA

Post Number: 10
hell - i migbht as well join in! since you all high jacked my thread lol

Upload

Silver Member

Post Number: 344
Sorry mate I do apologise for this, hahah, sorry, I'm not laughing at you, hahah,
Man beaver is tasty when cooked!
Upload

Silver Member

Oakwood, Ga

Post Number: 440
Andy's home theater:Upload

Silver Member

Post Number: 345
Thank you Joseph, I admire your passion, in my home cinema how ever intelligence reports from the CIA, says this could be your home cinema sound system. Upload

Silver Member

Oakwood, Ga

Post Number: 443
that one made me laugh andy

Silver Member

Post Number: 346
Sorry about that Joseph, it's my poor attempt in British humour however it seams you need a massage this entire home cinema stuff has stressed you out a little bit....

Upload

Silver Member

Oakwood, Ga

Post Number: 450
Andy, its good to see you actually do like pu$$y.

Silver Member

Post Number: 349
Cheers Joseph,

Hahahaha, a whole lot of PU$$Y there is this other forum I'm joined to but I shouldn't post the link hear, maybe some clues, and when feeling stressed out you can pop on over there, and say what you like, what you like!

You can talk about home cinema to the extreme or post your own political propaganda...

It's a whole lot of fun, or should, I say a whole lot of PU$$Y!!!!!

Hears a small easy clue" girls just wanna have"

I'll send the next clue hear later and if you can figure it out by the end of the day and have signed up to the quick and easy forum, for men and women that are looking for love or just plain ole fun talking, then this maybe up you alley...

Upload
"I'm just a catsy!"

Silver Member

Oakwood, Ga

Post Number: 453
Great photo!

Silver Member

Post Number: 354
Upload

So Joseph, you what to pop into my world what a perfect, idea it's "ph" more laaaater'
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us