Polk's or BA's with Onkyo?

Anonymous
I have been looking for an HT system and this is what I've got so for:

Use the Onkyo TXSR600 and Onkyo SKW110 sub with the PolkAudio or Boston Acoustic speakers, but I can't decide. What do you think?

Front: PolkAudio RTI38
Rear: PolkAudio RTI28
Center: PolkAudio CSI30

or
Front: Boston Acoustics CR85B
Rear: Boston Acoustics CR65B
Center: Boston Acoustics CRC

I have both (sort of).

From my HK525 I run Polk RTi38's as my mains and I also have a Boston Micro8000 system.

I have never heard the Boston CR-series but I can tell you that I am *very* impressed by the RTi's. The Boston's are very neutral but less enjoyable to listen to than the polks.

I will probably return my new Polks though...and get the Polk LSi9's!!!

Good luck,

-h1pst3r

Anonymous
I listened to the Boston CR-series at Tweeter's, in Birmingham (www.tweeter.com) with a Yamaha and Denon receivers and the Polk's at CircuitCity with the Onkyo. The BA's seemed to have a cleaner/sharper sound than the Polks. The polks had more mid and lower range. I liked the options on the Onkyo receiver, but I can't decide which speakers would be the better match.

I would agree with that description of the Bostons. I would also add that in my experience that "clean, sharp sound" tended to wear on me during longer listening sessions, even with the sub.

Just one man's opinion though.

Good luck,

-h1pst3r

I have owned bostons for several years, In my living area I have VR40's (mains) CR6's (surrounds) and a boston center channel speaker, with a Onkyo 585 that sytem is very special to me. Recently I outfitted another home theater sytem in my basement, I bought CR75's as My mains and using a Panosonic SA-HE200 to power them. Well they sound good, But I expected more from these but I am not unhappy. In my opinion for the $400 dollar list price of the CR85s (which I did listen too for at least an hour at the dealer) their may be a better sounding speaker out there. But after all is said and done Boston Acoustics are still a well made loudspeaker. Just My Opinion..
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us