Bl**dy blinking baffling

Unregistered guest
All right, so I finally get a free evening to hook up my new Marantz 8400. A couple of hours free, anyway.

Net result: no sound.

Any tips? I'm trying to run a basic two-channel system, with a dvd player and 10-year-old JVC non-digital television. But I don't think I'm configuring the receiver properly in the setup mode.

Is there an old thread here with basic instructions for running two-channel stereo from a 7.1 receiver? Or are any of you lucky UBID winners running two channels off your 8400?

Thanks!

Silver Member
Username: Dmwiley

Post Number: 755
Absolutely excellent piece of equipment. Just select stereo audio option (see manual page 24). Can do this from remote in Amp mode or control dial.

G. Dark
Unregistered guest
Thanks. I'll try that when I get home tonight.

Gold Member
Username: Jan_b_vigne

Dallas, TX

Post Number: 3996

"Is there an old thread here with basic instructions for running two-channel stereo from a 7.1 receiver?"

No, but there's always your owner's manual. Try reading it, it's faster than finding a thread on this forum.

Gold Member
Username: Paul_ohstbucks

Post Number: 1150
Did you plug it in?

G. Dark
Unregistered guest
Progress report:

First, I read the manual a second time. And the manual for the HK DVD22.

Second, I tried s-video cables from DVD player to receiver and from receiver to TV. Nothing.

Third, I tried basic red-white-yellow component cables. Now I have sound but no video.

I will give it another shot this evening.

Bronze Member
Username: Daedilus

Post Number: 33
ok, for starters if your problem is no sound, swapping video cables around wont fix it.

Secondly you want to use digital audio from your dvd player to your receiver or you will not get DTS or surround sound.

I see from your manual you have 6 assignable digital inputs, 4 optical 3coaxial.

Harmon Kardon appearently cannot afford to keep their website operational, so i cant pull a manual for your dvd player, so i have no idea what outputs it has.

Determine whether you want to use coaxial or optical digital cables to the receiver.

Remember which number digital in you used on the receiver back. once amp is turned on, put remote into "amp" mode.

Press menu

select input setup

set dvd to the corresponding input you plugged it into on the back (D1-D6).

press menu again to exit.

G. Dark
Unregistered guest
Thanks for the tips. I'm getting both sound and picture, now. But this is weird: I have a set of component wires (red, white, yellow) running from the TV to the receiver. I also have an s-video cable running from the TV to the receiver. The only way I could get a picture was to hook up both. If I unplug EITHER ONE, the picture goes away.

What's up with THAT?

Bronze Member
Username: Daedilus

Post Number: 44
If you are using basic cable from your tv's video monitor out to the receiver then you dont need it, sounds like you have a loop ran.

If you are using a cable or sat box try hooking up as in this diagram:

Upload

This is the proper configuration for your older tv.

If you are not running a cable or sat box then run the audio from the monitor out of your TV to the Tv analog audio input where cable box is shown to go now.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us