Center & rear speakers to work with KEF front speakers

Username: Martybigs

Post Number: 1
I am upgrading a TV (Samsung 56" DLP) and stereo system to surround sound for the first time. I have a set of KEF component speakers that were built 25 years ago but still sound fantastic. I am purchasing a new Yamaha HTR-5890BL Receiver and either a Samsung DVD-HD850 or Toshiba DVD SD-5980.
The local audio store has suggested adding a KEF Q10c center speaker and a set of Ci 160.2QS/QR in-wall speakers for the rears at a cost of about $1,000.00.
I would like to spend less. Are there any other speaker brands besides KEF that will work (Boston Acoustics or Polk Audio)??? Or should I just stick with the KEF brand to be sure of a good match???
Thanks,
Martybigs

Silver Member
Username: Dmwiley

Post Number: 739
Marty, please get the extended warranty if you are purchasing Samsung. You'll probably need it. I would match the center speaker as closely as possible to the front speakers. Matching surrounds not as crucial.

Username: Mark_mcintosh

Gastonia, NC USA

Post Number: 5
Marty, I had a pair of KEF 103.2's for 20 years and I used a Definitive Technology center speaker that matched very well. Since the rears are mainly for effect, you don't need matching speakers there unless you listen to music in 5 channel stereo alot. I used a pair of Baby Advents for a long time and they were fine. Do you have a subwoofer? That is a must for good home theater sound. My suggestion would be to focus on the center speaker, get some decent rears, and save enough to get the subwoofer. Dayton makes a good one for around $125 + shipping.

Username: Mark_mcintosh

Gastonia, NC USA

Post Number: 6
Sorry, I forgot to say you can get that sub from www.partsexpress.com . They also have a pretty good selection of in-wall speakers if that's the way you want to go in the rears.

Post Number: 2
Thanks for the help!
I found the specs. on the old KEF speakers. There are three units in each cabinet. The cabinets are 36"w x 24"h x 18"d and contain the following:
KEF T27 HF Unit Type SP1032 (50 watts/8 continuous)
KEF B200 LF Unit Type SP1014 (25 watts/25 continuous)
KEF B139 LF Unit Type SP1044 (50 watts/40 continuous/3 way reflex system)
I am trying to narrow down the brand and size center and rear speakers that will go with these old KEFs.
HERE ARE SOME OPTIONS..NEED HELP WITH DECISION:
Center Speakers
Definitive C/L/R 2500 w/power sub $350-$700
Definitive Mythos Three $350-$400
KEF Reference 200 Center $600-$1000
KEF Q9C Center $200-$300
KEF Q10c Center $540
Rear Surrounds
Definitive UIW64/A In walls $300
Definitive BPI.2X surrounds $250-$400
KEF Q8s Q-series rears $250
KEF CI-200.2 Q5 Uni-Q 8" in walls $300-$400
KEF Ci 160.2QR in walls $200

NEED HELP DECIDING!
Thanks
Martybigs

Post Number: 3
I purchased the rear KEF Ci-200.2 QS 8" in-walls on ebay. Now I am down to the center speaker. Should I stay with KEF??? Looking at the Q10C @$450.00 or a used 100-C Reference (much less expensive)...any suggestions? I am thinking that I still may need a subwoofer with either of these combinations.
The other option (based on Mark's comments) would be to get a DEFINITIVE TECHNOLOGY C/L/R 2300 or 2500 with the built-in subwoofer power amp. This unit is a little more money, but takes care of the subwoofer need.
thanks for your comments,
Martybigs

Bronze Member
Username: Daedilus

Post Number: 46
The CLR 2500 is a fine, fine center channel speaker. The integral sub on it adds a lot of definition to the channel and really brings the center "alive".

As to whether you want to use that as the only sub in your system... well i wouldnt but its up to you. I would go with a high quality powered 12 inch ...

possibly a supercube if money allows.

Upload

maybe a Pro Sub 100 if something a little less expensive is required.

Upload

http://www.definitivetech.com/loudspeakers/subwoofers/subwoofers.html#100
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us