HDTV or Home Theater System? Can only get one....ugh.....Help!

Willie Cash
Unregistered guest
People. I need some opinions here. This forum is great. Please advise.......

Due to financial constraints I can only get a surround sound system (Phase Technology V-8 System) or a HDTV (Sharp Aquos LC32GA5U 32" widescreen) for my new house - which one should I get first?!?!?!? What do you all think is the most important to have first?

The plan is to eventually get both, but like I said, I can only get one now. I currently have an older 32" Sony Trinitron Tube and need an audio system for my home. I'm leaning toward the surround sound system as at least I have a TV now, but I watch a lot of sports and would love to be watching my games in HD and surround sound.

One last question that could help in my decision making....If I go with the surround sound first, and get digital cable (Time Warner) or Directv, how many non-HD broadcasts would be in 5.1? If I can get just as many 5.1 broadcasts on non-HD TV as HD TV I'll definitely got the surround sound route as a big plus for me getting the HD is the ability to watch NFL in surround sound.

Thanks so much.

Gold Member
Username: Paul_ohstbucks

Post Number: 1037
Willie,
Only you can answer the first question. Personally, if I were replacing a 32" TV, I would want to do it with one that is larger than my current set. If and when you do go "HDTV", bigger is better.

As for your second question.......very, very few non HD programs are broadcast in 5.1, but it really doesnt matter because your receivers job is to convert it into that format, and they do it extremely well. New receivers do it so well that you probably wont be able to tell if the origional source is 2.1 or 5.1.

BTW....I subscribe to Sunday ticket and took delivery of my HDTV on a sunday.....

whoah...needless to say that I was in football heaven on that day and every sunday for the rest of the season!!!!

Willie Cash
Unregistered guest
Paul,

Thanks for the insight on the non HD broadcasts in 5.1. I appreciate it.

Like I mentioned in another post I'll be going with the surround sound system first as we'll need music in that first floor area for entertaining. The more I thought about it, the more of a priority that became. I'll be supplimenting with a HD flat screen soon. I'll keep you posted.

Silver Member
Username: Dmwiley

Post Number: 738
Paul, you were extremely gracious in responding to a dumb inquiry (which one should I get first?!?!?!? What do you all think is the most important to have first?). I believe this is the same poster who, on another thread, asked us to give him an actual number of non-HD 5.1 broadcasts. Bravo.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us