Use TV speaker as center for surround sound?

Username: Eman597

Post Number: 1
hey

I was wondering if there is a way to use the built in speakers in my Sony 51" HDTV Monitor (KP51WS520)as the center speaker for my 5.1 setup. My reciever is a Sony STR-DE597 Receiver. I am new to this board, so if i left off any important information just ask and I'll try to tell you more. Thanks for your help!

Silver Member
Username: Joe_c

Oakwood, Ga

Post Number: 344
I wouldn't because the timbre of most other speakers you will get for the left and right channel will be no where near close to the timbre of that tv. Even if the other speakers are Sony. If the timbre is off, you lose fluidity with sound from left to right and this would throw off the "effect" soundtracks are meant to play.

Post Number: 2
thanks for the fast reply!

so should i not even run any audio out into the tv from my dvd player and instead just run the coax or optic to the receiver only?

Bronze Member
Username: Philman

Richmond, IN USA

Post Number: 100
While there may be some truth to what Joe says, I think he missed your point. Besides, you'll have to spend significantly more on the HT to get into the levels of listening quality that he suggests.

Your TV does not appear to have a center channel speaker input. Therefore, utilizing the two speakers in the set (driven from the DVD player) would not be a part of your 5.1 program output. They would be, at best, additional PL stereo source that would interfere with the 5.1 mix.

You can run stereo audio to your TV if you want to watch the news or tapes, etc. But if you want true 5.1 surround, then you'll need to turn down the TV volume or mute the TV. Using a Digital connection to the HT receiver (with the center channel speaker) insures that you get 5.1 audio from your DVD movies.

Post Number: 4
thanks a lot for your help PhilMan, ill do just that

Username: Dyohn

Post Number: 10
Also, there IS a way to use a TVs built-in speakers as your center channel. If your HT receiver or pre-amp has pre-outs (line-level or RCA connections) for the center channel these can be connected to the line-ins for audio on the TV. While this may not be the most satisfying way to achieve a center channel and there are audio shortcomings as detailed above, it can be done.

Gold Member
Username: Paul_ohstbucks

Post Number: 1032
Bad idea.........

Go with the separate center channel speaker. Your TV will sound total like crap compared to a quality center channel speaker. You may as well hook up a 'boom box' and use it for a center channel speaker because it will sound just as awful. TV speakers should never be mistaken for as HIFI quality.

Bronze Member
Username: Dyohn

Post Number: 11
I agree, the sound quality will not be up to the level possible with seperates unless you have a very good sound system in your TV. The sound in my Proton VT-269 will compete with many dedicated center channels. But hey, the question was "can it be done." The answer to that is yes.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us