Better sound...Optical or Coaxial?

J.TOUPS
Unregistered guest
I'm debating on which way to hook up my Audio from DVD to AVR. Here's the back of my Stereo.
Thanks!
http://www.crutchfield.com/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?g=37700&id=morephotos&pi=6&i=158HT6800D&display=XL

Silver Member
Username: Paul_ohstbucks

Post Number: 972
Either way is fine. The only clear advantage in this 'endless debate' is that optical has the advantage if you have an extremely long run. If you dont need a long cable, you might as well flip a coin because both are excellent providing you buy a quality cable.

J.TOUPS
Unregistered guest
Paul, If you click on the above link I posted, which "IN" do I use for the Optical cable?

J.TOUPS
Unregistered guest
Paul, If you click on the above link I posted, which "IN" do I use for the Optical cable?
Also, do I need to adjust any setting on my DVD player? Thanks !

Silver Member
Username: Paul_ohstbucks

Post Number: 973
If you look at the picture, you have two optical-ins, and one coax-in. You can plug your components in however you want. Most people typically have the need for at least two multi-channel ports(optical/d.coax). One for DVD-in, and one for sat/cable-in. You can use any of the ports anyway you choose and it will work just fine so long as your turn your reciever to the respective input to listen to the source.

As for your DVD player settings, you need to go into the menu and activate DD and DTS before inserting a disc. This will make your DVD player send the 5.1 signal to the receiver.

J.TOUPS
Unregistered guest
Thanks Paul, that should help me out with all of my hookup.

Bronze Member
Username: Thx_3417

Bournemouth, Dorset United Kingdom

Post Number: 52
J.Toups,

Hi there blind leistering to both optical and coaxial, well first I have my pioneer CLD-1750 Laserdisc player I have it hooked up for Optical for dts sound, and rca left total and right total for the analogue playback.

For the Pioneer CLD-2950 Laserdisc player I have it hooked up for Optical for dts sound, and rca left total and right total for the analogue playback.

For the Sony DVP-S336 DVD player I have it hook up for coaxial for Dolby digital rca phone left total and right total for analogue playback.

For the Pioneer DV-525 DVD player I have that hook up to the coaxial for Dolby digital rca phone left total and right total for analogue playback.

And the VCR just rca phone as it is totally analogue sound output.

As to the two optical vs. coaxial both are good in the long run I have not had a day's problem with both.

Go for both; though don't go to crazy on the cost of the leads if I said I'm using different types for the coaxial digital output like a cheep rca phone lead on all is working superfine.

As for the ABC and Odeon cinemas in Westover road there's sound like an Al Jolson Vitaphone back in the 1920's ekk!

Ashley.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us