Video bleed-through while watching DVDs

Username: Katiejc

Post Number: 7
I am getting a strange video bleed-through effect while watching DVDs on my TV. The DVD picture is perfect, but there is also a faint but distinct ghosting image of the satellite receiver's picture on the screen. The ghosting outline of the satellite receiver's picture seems to bounce all over the screen from right to left, which makes it very annoying trying to watch the DVD.

I'm not sure why it is doing it, but my first thoughts were that turning off the satellite receiver would solve the problem, but no. Even when the receiver is fully powered down, the picture still bleeds through, which is really odd, except that when it is off it's the standard Dish Network logo picture with "Press select to continue" that can usually be seen on screen right after the program guide has just been downloaded. When the receiver is actually turned on, the channel itself bleeds through on the screen to the DVD picture.

There are two outputs from the satellite receiver going to the back of the VCR: one coax, one A/V cable. And two outputs going from the back of the VCR to the TV: one coax, one A/V cable. The DVD player (playstation 2) itself is hooked up via A/V jacks to the inputs on the front of the VCR.

It also seems that if I don't have the coax cable going from the VCR to the TV plugged in, there is no bleed through and the DVD plays perfectly. Having to unplug it everytime I want to watch a DVD is really troublesome though, since the VCR and TV are both stuffed deep into cubbies in the wall.

Does anyone know what the problem could be that is causing the picture bleed-through, and perhaps how I might fix it? Thanks in advance.

Silver Member
Username: John_s

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 334
Katie,
As I suggested in the other thread, there is absolutely no need to have a coax line go to the VCR from your sat box. Since you already have A/V patch cords feeding the VCR, these are what you should use for any recording you might do. You simply turn the VCR to "Vid1" or "Line 1" and record whatever is tuned in on the sat box. This would result in a slightly better video recording as well as a stereo audio recording on most channels. You should be able to do a timer recording just by programming in "vid1" instead of channel 3. As for playback of tapes, you would simply go to channel 91 on the TV--the same as playing a DVD on your game box.

So all you need is to have a coax line go from the sat box directly to the TV. And while you're at it use RG-6 cable instead of the cheaper RG-59 coax that you are no doubt using now. (And no quick disconnect adaptors either!) Because of its inferior shielding, all that cheap RG-59 cable crimped up behind the VCR and TV is picking up some of the incoming satellite line signal and is the source of your ghosting problem, I think.

My 2¢

Silver Member
Username: John_s

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 335
Sorry, I should have said in the first sentence, "there is neither a need for a coax to the VCR from the sat box, nor is there a need for a coax line from the VCR to the TV."

Username: Katiejc

Post Number: 8
Hi John,

I did what you suggested, and it is now working perfectly now! Satellite receiver outputs to Channel 03, and DVD and VHS tapes output to Channel 91 without any overlapping at all.

Thanks again for all your help.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us