Speaker Wire for Onkyo HTS-770

Username: Socalcaz

Post Number: 1
I recently purchased Onkyo HTS-770. The system sounds great but I would like to optimize the sound by replacing the speaker wire. For my rear speakers I am using 18 gauge speaker wire. The wire was previously installed in the house and it would be difficult to change it out. I would like to change out the speaker wire on the front speakers (which are not in the wall). What is the optimal speaker wire gauge for the front speakers(for this particular receiver)? Will the different gauge speaker for the front speakers disrupt the surround sound experience? What is a good retail store to purchase the speaker wire? Finally is it better to go with banana plugs for the speaker wire interface into the receiver? Thank you in advance.

Username: Socalcaz

Post Number: 2
Also should I change the wire that goes from the receiver to the bass box? Thanks!

Bronze Member
Username: Thalazy

San Ramon, California U.S.A

Post Number: 31
I use 16 gauge speaker wire for all my speakers. As for the sub cable I would recommend buying a better subwoofer cable. I don't think it will disrupt the sound, if you use different wire. I like Best Buy I got a roll of 100 ft 16 gauge Acoustic Research speaker wire for $29.99. Banana plugs make it much easier to install, specially on the 770 reciever, so I guess it depends on preference, but most people would agree to get banana plugs. Hope that helps.

Usman_Denver
Unregistered guest
I am about to get my 770 system and have decided on Radio Shack's 16-gauge cable. A 100' spool for $18. And yes, banana plugs will help a lot. 100' spools often include 4-6 plugs with them.

Usman_Denver
Unregistered guest
Oh, and as far as the subwoofer cable, yes, it would be wise to replace that. I plan on doing so when mine arrives. Didn't try to find it at Shack, but I'm sure they sell it.

It would be ideal if all your cables were 16-gauge or better, but using those for just the fronts won't affect the experience, especially as surrounds only handle ambience and fronts and center do most of the work. You won't notice a thing.

Anonymous

I have one question regarding the Speaker Wire... I have HT-S570 and can someone tellme which Speaker Wire I should buy as I want to replace the Onkyo given cables or the speaker cables given with the product is good enough... More the guage its better or worse... I mean 16 guage is better than 12 guage??? Also what is banana plugs... I'm a novice so please excuse...

Usman_Denver
Unregistered guest
Anonynous. The gauge ratings can seem counter intuitive. The LOWER the gauge, the LESS resistance the cable provides, and hence carries MORE wattage. So 16-gauge is infinitely better than 24-gauge, but not as good as 12. See what I mean? But for the kind of system you have, 12-gauge would be an overkill. 16-gauge would be more than sufficient. That is the size I am planning on running with my S770 6.1 system.

I bought all my cable at Wal-Mart yesterday; high-end, gold-plated, shielded Philips for all A/V connections, plus a 100' spool of Philips 10-gauge speaker cable for my speakers. Everything together came to about $90. The speaker cable was $17--hell of a deal for a 100' spool! And it includes 4 banana plugs, which, by the way are a convenient and secure way to hook speaker cable to a receiver. Look here: http://www.amabilidade2002.com/ay1385total.jpg

But those are the really high-end ones though. You can get good quality bp's at Radio Shack for about $3 for a 4-pack.

And by the way, don't fall into the "Monster cable is best" hype.

Silver Member
Username: Dmwiley

Post Number: 705
"optimal gauge" depends on equipment and application (distance from source receiver/amp and other factors). 16 gauge should be fine in your cicumstances.

Usman_Denver
Unregistered guest
Whoops! I goofed! The Philips speaker cable I purchased is 16-gauge. 14-gauge was twice as expensive and would be an overkill for my system.

Unregistered guest
I currently ran new Radio Shack 16-gauge speaker cable in a new construction house. However, afterwards, contractors ran some BX electrical cables and copper hot water pipes along the walls/ceilings touching my speaker cables, will this present a problem or effect the sound quality?

Anonymous

wires sheathed in bx running parallel to speaker wire will not present any problem or affect sound quality
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us