The best system?

Username: Nosferatu

Post Number: 1
Greets,
I'm in the process of replacing pretty much everything I own except my Pioneer 300 disc changer. I need a TV, DVD, VCR, Stereo, speakers, etc, etc.. I'm looking at the Samsung 61" DLP TV but need to figure out what to get with it... I obviously want to do HDTV and want the best quality DVD possible. Is their DVI DVD player the best to go with or will the quality be comparable on any progressive scan DVD player? I would really like a combo unit to save space, etc.. Is there such a thing as a HDTV/DVD/VCR/Cable/Tivo combo unit? :-) I'm open for any and all opinions as to what to get where. Stereo? 5 speakers? 6? What's out there for integration with my PC?

TIA,
Scot

Anonymous

I may be able to provide a little help. I recently did the same thing last year. As far as the DVD player goes, I am not aware of a DVI DVD player. I have a progressive scan DVD player, and as long as you use component video cables, you can't get a much better picture. I don't recommend getting the Home Theatre in a Box, because they are usually sub-par to the systems you can get when you piece them together individually. As for receivers, I recommend Yamaha, Harman Kardon, and Onkyo. They are definitely top of the line. It's your preference as to how many speakers to get (and what you have the budget for). 5 speakers plus a sub will definitely do the job, but I would recommend getting a receiver that is 6.1 or 7.1 capable in case you want to upgrade. Paradigm or Bose speakers are about as good as it gets. Hope that helps.

Bronze Member
Username: Two_cents

Post Number: 20
Scot,

I think the answer depends on what you're after (e.g., convenience vs. quality) and your budget. There are units that combine two types of equipment such as dvd/vcr players, dvd/tivo players, and receiver/dvd player, but they are generally of inferior quality compared to separates.

To answer one of your questions, I think a DVI DVD player would provide better picture quality on an HDTV than one with component output. The Samsung 931 DVD player has DVI output, but has gotten mixed reviews. It's a rather new thing so there isn't an obvious choice in player. More DVI DVD players should be coming out soon.

I also strongly recommend going with at least a 5.1 system if you enjoy watching movies and can afford it. A reasonable budget for a quality HT system (excluding the TV) would be at least two grand.

Mr. V
Unregistered guest
I just replaced my TV, DVD and processor, and feel my current setup is about as good as it gets, within a reasonable budget.

New items:

Hitachi 57T500

Rotel RSP 1066 processor

Denon 910 DVD

The TV and DVD feed direct to the HDTV via Acoustic Research component cables: I'd use DVI if my equipment supported it, but Comcast has the DVI port but doesn't enable it, and there's no DVI on the Denon.

The audio goes to my Rotel via Acoustic Research optical.

I still use Acurus amps, and M&K speakers/sub.

Tonight I demoed the DVD, with "Resident Evil" and "Underworld."

Absolutely stunning system, I kid you not.

I am also very glad to discover that Comcast has some HD only channels.

I am enthralled by the quality of this system, compared to my older Hitachi 55" 4x3 TV, Fosgate processor, and RCA DVD; while good, they are left in the dirt by this killer system.

Do your homework, learn, then go for it.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us