Onkyo 770 Receiver Just Shuts Off Randomly...

Username: Pacman2006

Post Number: 2
Well, I exchanged it and got a new receiver. Speakers work fine now. But, now I have a new problem.

When watching films, especially movies that have a lot of action that takes advantage of the 5.1, the receiver just shuts off.

The funny thing is that I'm NOT playing the movie loud. It has shut off at volume levels at 35, 33, and even lower at like 29 and 28. What could be the problem? I tried disconnecting all the wires and reconnecting, but had the same issue.

Is it a setup issue regarding the speaker sound level or subwoofer? Is it that you have to play movies very low to prevent automatic shutoff? Is there some option I need to toggle on or off--maybe a mode that actually purposefully turns my receiver off even when I don't want it to? Could it be something else?

Thanks.

Bronze Member
Username: Philman

Richmond, IN USA

Post Number: 94
The first thing that comes to mind, is did you get a complete new system or just a receiver? (from your previous post) The receiver will auto-shut down if it senses overload, shorts, or overheat conditions.

If you only replaced the receiver, then it doesn't like something with the wiring or the speakers. If those are new as well, then it could be another bum receiver. (See the many posts on this website)

If these are the stock speakers with the HT then you should have the SP CONFIG setup with the small speaker size. Sub really has no bearing since it is self-contained.

Make sure you are plugged into a quality surge strip and all components are being powered from same "clean" power source. (no refig or microwaves)

Make sure you don't have anything cover the vents. Heat has to be vented freely or it could be overheating even at low volumes.

DVD Movies are watched frequently on mine at volumes around 45-55.

search on 770 for more threads
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us