Need Connectivity Help

Username: Ejgali

Manalapan, NJ Usa

Post Number: 1
I have a Toshiba 42HP84 Plasma
(with HDMI connection)

I have a Yamaha DVX-S650 DVD Receiver Theater System
(with Component Video, S-Video, Digital Audio In/Out)

I have a Cablevsion HD4200 HDTV set-top
(With DVI, Composite Audio and Video Outputs, S-Video,Digital Audio Output)

I have a Toshiba VCR with Digital Audio, Component Video

I'm trying to maximize Video and Audio connection between these can someone please tell me what would be best to go with what to mazimize?

Silver Member
Username: Paul_ohstbucks

Post Number: 924
You'll want to buy a HDMI>DVI cable on the web and connect your cable box directly into your TV for best HD picture. The cable will have a DVI connector at one end, and HDMI at the other. Then connect your DVD player directly via component cables.

For audio, connect both your DVD player and cable box directly to your receiver via digcoax or optical cables so you can play in 5.1 mode.

Later you can run components to add your vcr to the loop once you get everything else working properly. VCR quality is generally poor, so that connection isnt as important. You can also run secondary composite connections out from your satbox to your TV so you can watch TV programming while the receiver is turned off.

Good luck

Manalapan, NJ Usa

Post Number: 2
The DVD player is built into the theater system and I also have a separate VCR/DVD player....Does it change any of your thinking?

Manalapan, NJ Usa

Post Number: 3
So as far as coax is concerned....cable provider coax goes IN to the HD Cable Box and Coax OUT goes to the VCR? Or Just Coax IN to the cable box and OUT DVI (Video) OUT via component (Audio)

Silver Member
Username: Paul_ohstbucks

Post Number: 927
Rick,
You can do both. First of all, for best picture, you want a DVI going directly from the box into your TV for viewing.(leave the VCR out of the loop unless it can both record and play in HD)

You can also run the coax out into your vcr, or you can run composits, components, or any combo of your preference to your VCR for recording purposes. Im assuming your VCR isnt true-HD since there are very few in the marketplace, and most people buy TIVOs instead for recording.

kpetersn90
Unregistered guest
I have a question about the audio. So if you have optical outputs and digital coax outputs on your dvd you dont need to hook up all the other A/V outputs (the red and white cables)?

Manalapan, NJ Usa

Post Number: 4
Thanks and stay tuned

Manalapan, NJ Usa

Post Number: 5
In the diagram (Plasma TV jackpack) where would I connect the Theater system audio to? (Theater System has a range of inputs and outputs including: 1 optical digital, 2 analog and 2 composite video input connections along with 1 optical digital, 1 analog, 1 composite and 1 S-video output connections.

Cable set-top audio (has a digital audio output jack) Upload

Silver Member
Username: Dmwiley

Post Number: 645
Are you attempting to play your tv through your receiver or the other way around?

Manalapan, NJ Usa

Post Number: 6
Dale,
I'd like to have an option that allows me to use the TV sound system at night when the kids are sleeping and also thru the theater system when I want...Does this make sense?

Unregistered guest
Rick,
i am an very outgoing teenager who would like to get some help on a problem i have.

I have a:
1 Large proscan TV 20-30" dont know(which actually works well despite the complants from some peeps)
2 Mediacom Cable(columbia,mo)
3 Sanyo VCR
4 Samsung DVD
5 Harman/kardon AVR40 stereo system
6 and a H/K CD player(hooked up^)

5&6 are both hooked up to standared surround sound the I am not too worried about

my Q is what i the best way to hook up my system for max quality

ABCDiamond
Unregistered guest
I have the same question as kpetersn90:
"If you have optical outputs and digital coax outputs on your dvd do you need to hook up all the other A/V outputs (the red and white cables)?"

I am wanting to connect a DVD player & a DVD recorder, & a VHS to a TV and a HiFi Amp, but am somewhat confused by all the cabling.

One of the things I want to do is record some TV programs to DVD+RW, then transfer the selected bits to DVD-R discs afterwards.

Any guidance would be great, but I probably haven't given enough info :-)

Silver Member
Username: Daedilus

Post Number: 116
Rick

The answer is no.

If you want both HT audio and standard internal tv speaker audio, then you need only run and RF (cablevison) wire out of the HD cable box into the TV's Vhf tuner in addition to your digital hookup to the receiver.

When you want HT you can switch the tvs input and turn on the receiver and have HD tv and DTS sound.

When you want regular tv and lower volume you can simply turn the tv to channel 3 (or 4 whatever channel your cable box displays on), and watch standard definition tv through the tv's speakers.

Stephen:

First of all, carefuly consider the ways you express yourself in a public setting, that sounded extremely wierd.

Secondly, without model numbers i can only guess as to your available inputs. But generaly you want all video and all audio feeding first into the HK AVR 40 and then out to the tv.

Use the highest quality video and audio each piece is capable of. Component video (progressive scan) out of the dvd seems likely, if your tv has component in, use it.

Put the digital in out of your dvd into your digital in on your Hk avr 40.

Use the monitor output of your receiver to put all sources out to your tv instead of using multiple inputs on the set.

ABC,

Your prowess in operating your equipment is really the barrier here, but here is the physical hookup.

Your Hi fi amp has no video inputs or recoring video outputs if its truely hi fi.

Hense you will run your video from piece to piece in a record loop.

If you are using basic cable (you didnt mention a cable box) then you are reliant upon your tv having a Video output. If it doesnt you will have to run video out of the vcr, which is a bit more cmoplicated.

Run cable into the VCR using coax.

Run cable out of the vcr to the tv using coax.

run the video output of the dvd into the line input (rear) of the vcr.

run video outputof the vcr into the dvd recorder.

run audio output of the vcr into any analog input on your hi fi EXCEPT phono or Tape.

Run video output of your DVD recorder into your tv.

From this point on, when you want to hear anything through your hifi you tune it through the vcr.

WHen you want to watch tv, you tuen the vcr's tuner to the channel you want to watch. you turn on the amp and select the vcr's input you hear tv.

when you want to watch a dvd, you put the vcr on Line 1. and watch the dvd from the rear input of the vcr.

At all times all of this will be passing through your DVD recorders line 1 input. when you want to record a dvd, or tv show, (depending on which is selcted on the vcr), you will simply hit record. you can also set up a timed record by simply leaving your vcr on the appropriate channel and setting the dvd recorder to begin recording at the appropriate time.

Your main challenge will be governing the mastery of your system, between a VCR and a dvd recorder, both of which will have the ability to over-ride the video of your system when either is enguaged.

A careful and thoughtful reading of your manuals on these 2 key pieces will be your only chance at salvation.

Username: Abcdiamond

Post Number: 1
Michael

Thank you. I have printed your reply out and will read it a few times, and try to digest it later :-)

Anonymous

Hello. I stumbled onto this thread in the course of researching a problem, so hopefully this is the correct forum.

I just got a new Samsung plasma EDTV television w/tuner (not simply a monitor). I also have digital cable (through Adelphia, which is part of the problem). I want to connect the cable box to the TV via S-video, but the cable box doesn't have an S-video port. Adelphia says it's not available and likely won't ever be in my area.

How is it possible that a digital cable box does not support S-video? Isn't this an archaic restriction? I have a 10-year old TV that has an S-video port; why in the world would a modern cable system not support S-video?

Can somebody please educate me on what might be a reasonable consideration for Adelphia that I'm not aware of? Also, do I have other options for getting at least an S-video-quality video feed?

Thanks very much for your help.

DJ

Silver Member
Username: Daedilus

Post Number: 178
2 words.

Satellite system.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us