Help with surround sound to video components

Username: Saltyone

Berkeley, CA USA

Post Number: 1
OK, so I just got all my new home theatre equipment, and listening to music is fine. However, I am unable to get stereo sound and a picture simultaneously with either my DVD player or my Dish network receiver. I went through a hilarious cycle: first DVD player with stereo sound and a blue picture, then DISH and VCR with great sound, NO picture, now picture OK but no stereo sound with either.

FWIW, I've stared at the ultimate home theatre set-up guide until I'm blue in the face. Currently, I have Component video and coaxial from DVD player to receiver, normal L/R/V from dish to TV, and L/R/V from TV to receiver. I think I should run an optical cable from the dish to the receiver (I don't have it yet), but somehow, I did get stereo sound (without the picture) from it once before, so I'm not sure.

Anyway, thanks in advance for the help and sorry to be long winded.

Silver Member
Username: Paul_ohstbucks

Post Number: 902
Joseph,
If you want 5.1 surround, you must run 'optical or d.coax' audio cables directly from each component into your receiver for best results. If you want, you can then run secondary composite connections from each component directly into your TV if you also want the option to listen without the stereo.

I recommend using either DVI or component cables for video. You can either run them directly to the TV, or through the receiver.........then connect to the TV via another set of components.
It sounds that throwing your VCR into the mix is throwing you off the beaten path. First get it working right, and then worry about the VCR.

Once you get it working, then you can run analog outs from either your satbox or TV into your VCR so you can tape programs. There is no best way because there are many different ways you can wire everything to work correctly. Usually, personal preference in how you want to switch various signals comes into play.

For example, I run a DVI directly from the satbox into the TV, but run components through my receiver for DVDs so I can easily access my receiver OS displays without switching inputs during a movie. All I have to do is hit the menu button on my receiver remote and POW...all my menu options are right there.

Hope that helps....

Username: Saltyone

Berkeley, CA USA

Post Number: 3
Thanks; I got it figured out, except I still have the blue-tinted movies if I hook the DVD player through component video right to the TV. If i hook the DVD and the TV to the receiver separately, I have no problem. I also have no surround sound from the satellite dish, just stereo sound--I probably need to check in with the Dish Network on this one...
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us