Newbie Question - Ohms

Username: Tkamil

Post Number: 1
Hello all - I have a yamaha htr-5790 receiver with 6.1 speaker setup. all my indoor speakers (A) are at 8 ohms. I just purchased yamaha nws-350 outdoor speakers (B) which appear to be 6 ohms. My receiver can not set separate impedance for A and B.

Questions -
1. Is it a problem to use 6 ohm speakers with the receiver set to 8 ohms?
2. If that could possibly damage my receiver is my only option to change the impedance before I want to use the outdoor speakers?

TIA!

Username: Dyohn

Post Number: 4
Running 6 ohms speakers on a standard home amplifier designed for an 8-ohm load is generally not a problem.

Bronze Member
Username: Duckmanx

Post Number: 20
its the other way around that may hurt your speakers I think.

Post Number: 5
Ah, no, that would not be correct. Amplifiers are rated at a certain performance specification when delivering voltage into a minimum loading. Placing higher loading on an amplifier will not harm anything, and indeed is often times better for the amplifier. Placing a lower loading on an amplifier can cause heat issues, clipping, distortion, increased noise, overload and even damage to the output stages of the amplifier. My statement is that most home equipment rated at 8-ohms can handle a 6-ohm load without significant issues.

johnman
Unregistered guest
Refer to the Yamaha manual. It should tell you the minimum resistance load your receiver will handle.
It may even have a switch of some sort for a lower impedance setting.

Username: Tkamil

Post Number: 2
Thanks for the help. I may have been a little cloudy in my original post. The receiver can switch between 6 and 8 ohms, but my indoor speakers are 8 ohms and my outdoor speakers are 6 ohms.

Could I damage the receiver by using the outdoor speakers (B) with the receiver set to 8 ohms?

Post Number: 6
Not likely.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us