Front channel speaker placement in wall vs cieling?

Username: Chadm82

Post Number: 1
I am having my home prewired and I am pretty sure there will be enough slack from the prewire that they put in the cieling to pull down the wall for the 2 front channel speakers to be put in the wall next to a plasma tv I have. But if not would it be a disaster to put the front channel speakers in the cieling? I will have the center channel speaker above or below the TV. Thanks for the input.

Bronze Member
Username: Philman

Richmond, IN USA

Post Number: 83
Disaster, no... less than desirable, yes!

Ideally the front speakers should be at ear level when watching in your favorite chair. If that is not possible and ceiling is your only option, then there are a number of speaker manufacturers that provide aimable tweeters in their ceiling speaker. Some even allow the whole speaker to be positioned at a small angle to direct sound toward the listing area. It would be very undesirable to mount a non-directional ceiling speaker as the sound from the speaker would be directed into the carpet where you loose content, get reflections and delays.

If sound is all your looking for, then any arrangement will "work". However, "movie effects" are designed for a standard placement of each speaker.

my 2¢

Post Number: 2
Thanks for the input I hope they have provided enough slack to put them on the wall I guess we will find out.

Post Number: 3
also another note these will be in-wall/in-ceiling speakers. Most likley Polk RC85i

Silver Member
Username: Paul_ohstbucks

Post Number: 846
Ceiling speakers are fine for background music, but if you're planning a HT, avoid those at all costs for the reasons listed by Phil. Those are huge reasons and your chances of having a high performance HT soundsystem are slim and none with ceiling speakers.............and slim left town.

If flexibility and performance are of any concern, I'd avoid anything that is in-wall.

Good luck

Bronze Member
Username: Philman

Richmond, IN USA

Post Number: 91
Paul, did you mean to say anything that is in-ceiling? Because there are a number of speaker Manuacturers today that provide some really high end, built-in speakers. This past year at CEDIA I witnessed several that changed my mind.
Just curious.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us