Dts- ES or THX ? Which is best ?

Username: Swwdts

Post Number: 5
I am wanting to buy a newer 6.1 of 7.1 system.I'll be looking for the best audio & video set- up.Which is the best dts or THX ? I have a 5.1 Kenwood dts set up.When, I play dts-es movies the sound itself is awesome!When, I play a THX Optimer movie such as the T2 Extreme DVD.It is REALLY AWESOME !My rec.does not have a THX set up only, dts is the dts-es better than the THX set- ups? Your yes or no's may save me $1000's.

Bronze Member
Username: Jbecvar

Post Number: 53
THX is just a standard that the receiver has to conform to to be certified to the standard of THX. With my pioneer 1014, the THX mode is just seven channel Dolby mode, pretty much, which is nice. Overall, I still find that DTS-ES, which is up to 6.1 surround, sounds better, only because THX is just a modifier, not a sound processing mode in itself, and DTS is just plain recorded and processed better. It will be your own ears that make the difference though. All the THX will mean is that anything you run thru with that mode on will be processed and conformed to that standard. For instance, THX optimum crossover level for subwoofers is 80hZ, so anything that plays thru THX mode will have that crossover level being put out by the receiver. If you're dead set on getting THX though, you don't need to spend that much, Pioneer has two resonably priced models that are very good. The Pioneer vsx1014tk is last years model, so you can pick it up on the cheap, and this years updated model is the 1015. Both are excellent, and comparable to some of the Pioneer Elite line, minus a few features.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 12
Thanks,you helped me alot.A salesman at BestBuy could have lied to me & I would not have known any better.Thanks!

Silver Member
Username: Dmwiley

Post Number: 575
Sometimes they lie, more frequently, the freaks just don't know what they are talking about.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 14
Yah, & sometimes they do it just to make a buck.

Bronze Member
Username: Jbecvar

Post Number: 55
Your welcome, glad to help you out, I know when I first started getting into all this I had a lot of questions and some of the people on here are very helpful, so I'm just trying to do my part.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us