Speaker/subwoofer cable included in HTS650?

Willy Zhang
HI everyone,

I am new to home theater system. I purchased HTS650 after I did some research in this forum and received it today.

However, there is no any cable included in the box. While it says on the box that these cables are included. So I called CC and was told to mail it back, I mean, the whole package.

I need to make sure that these cabels are included
and how much it will take if I decide to purchase them on my own?

Many thanks in advance.

Best, Willy

Taber
The cable should be with the plastic wrapped owners manual. You might have missed them because they look like the thin twist ties that you see on loaves of slice bread. Anyway, you're not really missing much. Read up on the other message strings regarding buying better cables for this system.

CC are idiots for suggesting you ship the whole damn box back to them. A lot of these retailers don't understand customer service.

TF
I would call back and ask to speak to someone in a supervisory position. If you were planning on getting better speaker wire and a better subwoofer cable anyway, perhaps they will just refund you a reasonable amount for them not being included in the box. It would save having to ship the whole thing back.

Anonymous
just use it as excuse to go out and spend a little extra on decent speaker wire.
the wire that comes with the HTS-650 is junk.

Anonymous
What is the gauge of the wire that comes with the HT-S650?
Will going to an aftermarket wire make that much of a difference to the average family?

Anonymous
If I am not mistaken the speaker wire that comes with the HTS 650 is 22 gauge wire. If your runs are going to be fairly short (50 ft. or less) then you can probably get by on 18 gauge wire (fairly cheap 14 cents per ft.), but for longer runs you will probably need to go with the monster cable set (14 gauge). And yes, going to a larger size wire will make a difference mainly at higher levels.

Anonymous
Friend used the wire that came with the unit then used monster cables (at $100.00) and neither one of us or others could tell a difference.

Of course this was for a 12x16 foot room with short cable runs.

Taber
For a while, I was using the included speaker wire until I had a chance to buy replacement speaker cables.

When I finally had the chance to replace my speaker wire with 16 gauge speaker wire, I noticed that the sound was louder and clearer. The wire only cost me about 30 cents per foot.

I think the improvement in sound is worth the cost of upgrading your cables. You don't have to spend a lot, though, on the name brand cables. As long as they are thicker than the original cables, it will be an improvement. Don't let those damn retailers try to convince you that you need to spend 300 bucks on cable replacements.

I just purchased the HT-S650 as well, many thanks to all who have posted such good reviews. Now to my question, is there any technical reason that I should not use the included speaker cable that comes with the system. I have read that is should be upgraded to 14 Ga for the longer runs and 16 Ga for the shorter runs, now I have to convince my wife of this. She says that I have already spent 500 on the system and it sounds very good, why do I need to spend 20-30 more for better cables? I am looking for an answer like it will make the speakers/reciever last longer, not just the sounds better argument. Also, what about the subwoofer cable? Thanks
MSM

Anonymous
The receiver tends to get hot with the higher gauge wires (that's bad). If you move to a lower gauge less heating occurs thus making the receiver last longer.

Anonymous
I would go with the Monster Kit #200 for any decent home theater setup. Remember you only buy wires and cables once but you listen to it forever.

Anonymous
FYI got 50ft 16 gauge oxygen free copper speaker wire at Walmart for $7.95! They also had 14 gauge for $9.95 in 50ft. This was in the Car Audio section. They had a 100FT roll in home audio for $19.95, I just didnt need that much... good value for someone whos still using the included 22 gauge wire!

Hopsing
How many of you, who bought the HT-S650, bought a refurb? Is that a big risk. I'm also new to this stuff.

Anonymous
I bought a Refurb and I have never regretted it. Works wonderfully and you still have the waranty.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us