Best Price for HT-S650

Bryan
After doing lots of research on the internet and listening a lot of systems at Circuit City and Best Buy, I've decided to get the Onkyo HT-S650.

Now the question is where can I get the best deal? Most stores have the system listed as $500 but I keep hearing about people that have great deals on the system. What great deals have other people found and did they have to do anything to the retailer to lower the price?

joules
I ordered it at www.bestpriceaudiovideo.com for 470 and free shipping.
*shrug*

Anonymous
I bought it on Circuitcity.com using MSN Wallet and chose store pickup. Here's how it breaks down:

$499 - $100 (MSN dollars) - $30 (CircuitCity giftcard after mail-in rebate) = $369. No tax as I picked it up in Delaware ;) NOTE!!...the box weighs a ton, so bring some help with you if you pick it up!

FLAMANAR

Anonymous
I bought the system from circuit city at 499 with $30 gift card but had to exchange twice because of the defective receiver. I'm glad I didn't order it from the internet for saving another 30 bucks. Think about how much to ship it back if you've got a defective system. Any great deal may end up a great loss.

Anonymous
What was defective that you needed to exchange twice?

Anonymous
If you buy something from Circuitcity.com, you can return/exchange it at the local store...no need to ship it back.

Anonymous
How did you get 100 MSN dollors?

Anonymous
sign up for MSN wallet at wallet.msn.com (I think). checkout on circuitcity.com using the 'MSN Wallet' button at the bottom right when purchasing an item. you get 20% back in MSN dollars in February (up to $100).

Anonymous
BTW, for the $30 giftcard, you have to choose store pickup.

Anonymous
Here's more info:

"Shop on MSN and earn 20% back in MSN Dollars!

Do your holiday shopping with MSN and earn 20% back in MSN Dollars when you check out using your MSN Wallet at participating stores. As your qualifying transactions grow, so will your Holiday Reward!

• Find out how to earn MSN Holiday Rewards.
• Check qualifying transactions that you've already made.
• See complete rules or learn more about MSN Dollars.

This offer is active from 11/25/02 to 12/22/02 (end date subject to change by MSN). The maximum reward for the MSN Holiday Rewards promotion is $100 in MSN Dollars per person, with a maximum of two MSN Dollars accounts per household. If you qualify for an award, MSN will send you an e-mail in February 2003 with instructions on how to claim and spend your MSN Dollars. If you return items that were part of a qualifying transaction, it could affect the total amount of your reward."

TF
I'm so glad I saw this thread! We just picked up our system 2 days ago, so I called the manager at CC. He's going to let us return it (on paper) then I'll reorder using his computer and the MSN wallet checkout option at the store, so we'll get our $100!

I picked one up Wednesday evening at the local Circuit City.

499.00 List
40.00 Gift Card Credit against the HT-S650

I think I got the 40.00 credit because I bought some speaker stands also.

My wife won't let me open it yet as it is a Christmas present! WAHHH!

Merry Christmas to everyone!

Anonymous
What was defective on both receivers?

Anonymous
The two defective receivers I've got tripped when the volume increases to level 68 and couldn't be reset even after I unpluged the power supply. The one I finally get now can play the whole movie at volume level 72 without problem, and can also play up to 78 for 15 minutes. I couldn't stand longer than that but I may try for longer to verify functionality of the receiver, but I really tired of exchanging it again

Anonymous
Did your receiver feel hot? I felt my receiver yesterday after playing two dvd videos and it felt pretty warm. I actually never played a dvd through my receiver above 65, maybe I should. I wondering if its defective in any way.

Aztex00
www.shoponkyo.com is having a refurbished sale. You can get a refurbished hts650 for $329.99. I think they are offering free shipping as well.

Go to http://www.onkyousa.com/ and buy it directly from the manufacturer for $379.00
which includes a two year warranty.

Click on Shop Onkyo once you bring up the website.

Anonymous
The HT-S650 has several problems and one in 1,000 are defective.
The Kenwood HTB-505 is very reliable with one in 10,000 being problematic. Plus it is $100.00 less than the 650.
Your money, your choice. They are both about even in performance.

Anonymous
And where did you get these 'stats' from??

Anonymous
I got the stats from a leading consumer magazine reviewer.

Anonymous
Could you give us the name of the magazine and the date of the issue? I'm really interested in reading more detail about the production problems with Onkyo.

Anonymous
To find the best prices go to www.streetprices.com

Also, You have to realize that some people do not have megabucks to spend on home theater so I can recommend how to get the most bang for your buck.

HTB-205 by Kenwood

HTB-505 by Kenwood

The 205 is 85% as good as the Onkyo HT-S650
at half the price and the 505 is 98% to 99%
as good and is $150.00 less.

Anonymous
The Kenwood guy returns. His Kenwood system must be malfunctioning because he's posting the same "buy Kenwood" message in several different threads (now THERE'S an easy way to ruin any credibility!). BTW, look at the HTB-205 speakers, then look at the Onkyo speakers. 'Nuff said. BTW, my old system happened to be a Kenwood and I loved it...although I'm not happy with the new Kenwood systems. I now own the Onkyo and love it. Don't buy the hype from the parrot.

Anonymous
Soundcity.com has 13% off everything until 8 a.m. EST on 1/2/03. Get that Onkyo HTS-650 for $434.13 shipped free. Soundcity.com is an Onkyo authorized dealer.

Ray
I got mine last week from Circuit City where it is selling for $499. I told the salesman that if he wanted to make a sales, he had to give me a great price. After talking to his mananger, he sold it to me for $430. Not a bad deal. The system sound great specially with the all channel stereo with music.

Grimace
I say, don't buy the HTS650 because of the known LFE problem. Onkyo is banking on the fact that people might think it still sounds good and will buy it anyway. Onkyo is hoping people are too stupid to know the difference. I say, don't even consider getting this system unless Onkyo addresses the widespread LFE problem and issue a product recall/replacement for the many that have already purchased this system.

The HTS650 is advertised as a 5.1 system. If the LFE does not work, you are not getting a 5.1 system, so in effect Onkyo is false advertising.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us