Please help with ONKYO HT-R520 issue!

Username: Darian_kovach1

OH United States

Post Number: 1
Hi guys! I am in desperate need of help. I have a 6 month old ONKYO HT-R520 6.1 receiver that has been awesome since I bought it. The otherday, I shut it off the way I always do, and thought nothing of it.

Later that night, I turned everything on, and all it would say on the LCD was V2. I can not get any sound out of it at all. I've checked and reqired everything, I've unpluggedit over night, and I reset it to defaults per the instructions in the manual.

I don't have the money for repairs, let alone to replace it. Any help would be greatly appreciated. :-(

Bronze Member
Username: Philman

Richmond, IN USA

Post Number: 79
You may have checked it already but check to see that speaker selection switch is set to "A". Sometimes these units will loose the speaker selection during power-up. I have seen this more than once. Another thing, if you have plugged into a power strip, try leaving on unless its storming.

OH United States

Post Number: 2
Philman, do you know whereabouts I need to look to see that?

Bronze Member
Username: Philman

Richmond, IN USA

Post Number: 81
That will be the small button on the left side of your receiver. Your display will also show "A" or "B" when selected. If you have the manual check pages 6,32.

If you need the manual goto: http://www.onkyousa.com/download/own_manuals.cfm?cat=Systems

OH United States

Post Number: 3
Philman, thank you for your time. :-) It was on A. I called HH greg and it has a 1 year parts and labor warranty, so they are swapping it out for me. :-)

Username: Termides

Charlotte, NC United States

Post Number: 1
I have the same receiver. I have TWC in Charlotte NC. Explorer 8300HD DVR. The video is great however I am disappointed with the audio. I am using digital video cable from the box to the receiver. Anytime I watch a show like CSI, Law and Order...etc. If there is some drama the sound will blow you out of the seat if you have it turned up enough to here the dialoque. Most of the time the background noise or music will drown out the dialogue. Anyone else have this problem?

Russ S.
Unregistered guest
Has anyone else encountered the problem described above and found a solution? The same thing happened to me...system (Onkyo HT-R520 receiver + speakers) generally worked fine for about 10 months, then a couple days ago only "V2" (or "DVD", or whatever) shows up and I can't get any sound at all.

When I toggle the speaker A switch as mentioned above, the LCD will then show the name of the surround mode (e.g., PLIIx Movie), but still no sound. I experimented with different components in different inputs and no luck.

Thanks for any help or suggestions...fortunately it's still under warranty and there's an Onkyo service center not too far away...

OH United States

Post Number: 4
Russ, I had to get mine swapped out. Fortunatly it was still under warranty.

Russ S.
Unregistered guest
Thanks for the response, Darian. I guess it's off to the service center for me...

ecrane
Unregistered guest
I had a no sound issue with my unit also recently. I don't recall what the display said. I had to take it in for a warranty repair. Something called the "choke coil" was replaced. Unit failed after 6 months of service, while I'm happy the repair worked, I've got doubts about the long term relibility of this unit.

puffbird
Unregistered guest
Having same problem here... after about 6 months of great performance. I too am concerned with this failing again in 6 months after warranty service. I am including copy of this thread with warranty submission. I was told by service tech that they likely will have "beefed up" the replacement component. I hope so.

Russ S.
Unregistered guest
Got mine back from service, he also mentioned it was a coil that failed. He said that the factory had improved the replacement part, so hopefully it will last longer than 6-9 months now.

Dave S Roud
Unregistered guest
Hi guys. I sure need your help. I too have a ONKYO HT-R520 6.1 receiver. I get sound from the speakers, but no video on our tv whether from the dvd, vcr or sat. I've checked that the tv channel is right and video connections at both tv and receiver are good. This morning it worked fine, but our cleaning lady turned off the stereo and now it doesn't. I'm afraid she may have hit a button that has switched the video off. Should I reset the receiver- if so how?
thanks for any help.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us