No sound when using optical connection

Unregistered guest
I have a Sony 60" rear projection TV with a built-in ATSC tuner. I connected the optical output of the TV to the optical TV/SAT input on my Sony receiver. When viewing digital channels off the air, I am not getting any sound output from the receiver. I have tried setting the input mode on the receiver to the digital optical setting and the display say "not available". I pulled the cable from the receiver and there is a dim red constant light from the cable. I have gone throught the menus on the TV and did not find a menu selection to change the output to the optical connector. I am assuming that it is active all the time. Anyone know what I am doing wrong?

johnman
Unregistered guest
I think your best option is to continue looking through the Audio settings menus on the TV.
That includes setting the tv volume to "fixed".
Somewhere on a menu you should be able to set output audio to "optical" or "digital".

daveinhuntsville
Unregistered guest
I found the problem. The TV/SAT input was set to "2ch analog direct" by default. I could not find a way on the receiver to disable the direct configuration. However, pressing the "Direct" key on the remote set it to 2CH Auto and all of sudden I was awash in 5.1 sound.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us