Sound proof

Anonymous

hi all
i am new so i am sorry if i post in wrong place.
i need some help. I have a 13X13 room, everytime i play loud music, you could hear it from ouside. We party alot, fortunenately, i the cop havent stop by yet. But i know one of these day they will. So is there anyway that i can keep all that music in that room? Cuz i have a very nice neighborhood and dont want to upset anyone. Any advise will be appreciated

Silver Member
Username: Paul_ohstbucks

Post Number: 655
Dont turn the music so loud.

Silver Member
Username: Dmwiley

Post Number: 527
Try a "Google" search on sound proofing materials. Some of that stuff can get pretty expensive. Or go to your local hardware store and see what they have.

Bronze Member
Username: Thx_3417

Bournemouth, Dorset United Kingdom

Post Number: 18
Build an extra wall around your house, like a cavity wall, and then fill it with rockwool, make sure that you seal all gaps and if you can see light then sound will get though, but you can't stop all sound at different frequencies and sound pressure levels too.

Look I'll be honest hear, it's not easy and there is a whole lot of construction involved and it's not cheap too, unless you know a friend in the building trade who can some embezzling?

And you can get it done fast and on the cheap side of things.

Next time you go to a multiplex cinema one of the THX sound system theatres wait until everyone as left the auditorium, and then knock around on the wall, one you will find that it is soft absorbent, and beyond that is a 1ft thick concrete wall, this may give you some "brainstorming" the average sound leaking into the next cinema is around 5% I think which is pretty low considering the max SPL is +100db and the average SPL is 85db, plus the film you are listening too in that cinema as well.

Audio masking will stop you from hearing other sound or frequencies, so back to the home, first thing buy a sound level meter, and say someone is cutting there lawn set the SPL to C weighting and the lowest range on the SPL sit very quietly yourself and watch the SPL, now you have to say to yourself what is the SPL on the lawnmower outside? They all very at different SPL ranges and the simple thing to do is walk over the road, or if it's the next door neighbour and the fence is high, stand outside and place the SPL just above the fence, so that he cant see it look at the reading, make a note, then go back in doors and try and doing some calculations.

This will take some time; once you have figured it out, play your home cinema at the level you have it at, stand out side remember to close the door and watch the SPL to see how loud it is at C weighting and A weighting with the range sit at the lowest range, I think you will find that your home cinema vs. the outside is different, with cars driving around children playing the average dog that won't stop barking, and the neighbour across the road with the afternoon barbeque shouting saying shut that dog up!

Mate, don't worry too much, isolate your home cinema as best you can.

And good luck...

Ashley

Kahanamoku
Unregistered guest
Turn your dynamic range compression on full, at least the tones that are low/high enough to travel long distances wont be enabled and travel to your neighbours 4 houses down.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us