Power handling capacity of speakers

Anonymous

I am relatively new to the world of home theaters. When I got my first real job out of college three years ago, I bought a Phillips 3600D home theater system. Since then, however, I bought a 65" HDTV, and the picture quality on the built-in DVD player of the theater system just isn't up to snuff...don't think it even has progressive scan. Problem is, new DVD player means I need a receiver to connect it to. Have found a 600W receiver that fits what I need and in price range. Here is the real question...the 3600D is only 300W system. Will the speakers/50W subwoofer that came with it just be blown away by a new 600W system? Or, will they work well enough until I can set aside some cash for new speakers? Any help would be great. Would hate to buy a new system and not be able to use it without immediately plunking down money for speakers!

Watch the volume!!
Unregistered guest
Yeah, you can use the old speakers but please bear in mind that they arn't going to have any where near the power handling that they need if you are going to turn the amp past your 'normal' listening level (using the old system as reference.) If you are sensible though, I'm sure that these will suite until you get some cash for new speakers.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us