Help, please: new receiver and speakers

Username: Goldylox

Post Number: 1
hi. i have a denon-avr-1905 and definitive technology mythos surround speakers (5 and a subwoofer). i think i have all my connections correct, but i am getting NO sound. even though right now i only have the left main speaker and the center hooked up, i still should get sound, yes?

reading the denon manual on the way to work this morning, i realized that i threaded the speaker wire thru the "hole", NOT wrapped around the connection as showed in the pic in the manual. I threaded the wire this way on both the speaker and receiver ends. i am hooked up to left channel A, and yes, speaker A is selected on the receiver.

could the way i have the bare wire connected be the problem? should I switch to plugs??

Post Number: 2
sorry for the duplicate post.. new to the board and getting the hang of it.

Silver Member
Username: Paul_ohstbucks

Post Number: 644
As for the wires, you can either wrap around the post on the back of the receiver, or use bananna plugs and 'jack' right in. Depending on the thickness of your speaker wire, you might 'have-to' use bananna plugs.

Whats your source are you trying to play? I suggest hooking eveything up, and then do a followup if your still having trouble. No sense trouble shooting now if you're not even hooked up yet.

Post Number: 3
OK.. well i got the speakers working but only for the FM tuner and the TV ( for which the on screen receiver says its playing the DVD!). I guess I need to switch some of the plugs in the back ??!!. I moved the function knob thru all the settings, and none of them play the CD/DVD player.. i had a music CD in there. any ideas on how to fix this configuration and get sound for the remaining 2 components.. the CD/DVD and the VCR?

thanks to everyone!

Post Number: 4
also, i am getting no sound from my center channel. sigh. i need help.
thanks

Username: Gulmer

Ft.Bragg, Ca. USA

Post Number: 2
First,hook up all your speakers,you can damage your receiver running it without at least the 2 front,L&R,speakers hooked up,and I suggest you use bannana plugs,less chance to cross the +&- posts and it makes it easier to remove and reconnect the wires.Next,go into the setup menu and follow all the
directions,one by one,telling the receiver whatspeakers are hooked up,size(large or small),distance each speaker is from listening position,yes or no on if a subwoofer is connected,and if so,set the crossover point(choose 80Hz for now),next is the digital input assingment,matching the video with the audio,then the video input mode,etc.Read your manuel and have it next to you as you go through the setup.You should also have a sound level meter for adjusting
the delay time for each speaker,get a Radio Shack
analoge meter,then,after all that is complete,you can play with testing your source equipment.Juat make sure everything is connected correctly,then enjoy,also,make sure the input for audio source is on auto detect.

Post Number: 5
thank you gene and others for your assistance. i will try to get all speakers connected this weekend .. so please look for more posts from me next wekk on my (anticipated) success!!

Post Number: 6
SUCCESS!!! Just a big thank you to all who gave me ideas and advice. after following the advice and the instruction maunal, and resorting to trial and error, we finally got the hook-ups right. i have to say, denon's equipment is fine but their manual was just awful. not very clear at all, some steps are not even mentioned (do they assume we inherently KNOW this stuff??)and we even called the store to talk to the techie there when we got really stuck, since denon tech help is M-F, 9-5 (so what help is that if you work ???) so your help is even more appreciated.

the system is awesome; great speakers. thanks to all.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us