Trying to figure out the optimum setup

Username: Guanolad

Post Number: 1
So I got my fancy Plasma TV this past weekend, along with a less than stellar Digital STB, and tried to hook everything up. But there are some major flaws in my plan, mostly due to lack of appropriate connectors between peripherals and TV.

CABLES
My TV came with two connector cables - one is an RGB Component to RGB/YUV 15 pin; the other is a DVI (at each end).

My Digital Set-top-box, aka Digital Tuner, came with a single 3xRCA composite cable.

My existing Surround Sound has a mind-twisting spaghetti of RCA composite cables, which worked fine for my old CRT TV, DVD, VCR etc setup, because the Video Out cable was a single RCA that connected to the Video In of the TV.

The TV is a Sony PFM42V1, and has these connectors available:
Input 1: RGB/Component - 15 pin D-Sub, Audio stereo minijack
Input 2: Digital RGB - DVI-D,
Video: Composite In/Out, S-Video In, Audio In phono jack
Tuner: Not Applicable
RS-232C: D-Sub 9-pin
Speaker Out: 7w + 7w, 6ohm

My Digital Tuner is a DGTEC DH-2000a, apparently a piece of crap in many ways, and only available in Australia (where I am) but here's what it has:
RCA Composite for TV
RCA Composite for VCR
RGB Component for Digital TV
RGBVH Component for Digital TV
Coaxial Digital Audio Out
Fibre Optic Digital Audio Out
RF Out (for VCR)
RF In (for Digital Antenna)

My DVD player is a Samsung 1200D, is several years old, is a low end machine, but anyways its outputs are:
RGB Component
S-Video Out
RCA Video Out
Digital Fibre-optic Audio Out
Digital Coaxial Audio Out
RCA Stereo Audio Out

My VCR, which is about 5 years old, has:
RF Out
RCA Composite In
RCA Composite Out

Here's my problem. I wish to connect the DVD and the Digital Tuner to the TV at the highest quality as possible, preferably both digitally. But my only option seems to be to both use component Out, which doesn't give me many options for Inputting to the TV - at the moment I can only use the RGB/YUV 15 Pin.

Questions:
If I use the S-Video for my DVD, will the image be compromised in any great way? Should I instead try to keep to digital, or does that not really matter for DVDs?

Can I use the DVI In somehow (I have no need to attach a computer to the TV at any time) either from the RGBVH on the Digital Tuner, or the RGB Component on the DVD?

Can you see any way I can utilise the Surround Sound amp as my switch between DVD input and Digital TV input?

Am I buggered unless I get a better Digital Tuner or a better DVD Player, or both?

And lastly, can you see any way for my VCR to play through to my new TV, because I can't. (I may end up having to attach that to my old TV and keep it in my bedroom)

Hope someone can help.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us