Which connections are best?

Username: Jehuggin

Post Number: 1
This maybe a stupid question, but I can not find the answer, or at least I don't think I have found the answer. I am trying to determine the best way to hook up my DVD player to my receiver. The DVD player is a Samsung HD-841 which is currently connected via an optical cable to my Sony STR-DA2ES receiver.
After reading multiple threads, articles, etc. I am concerned that I may not have this hooked up the best way. Would using the multi-channel hook up be better? What are the positive/negatives of each? I always thought digital optical was best for sound transer.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Bronze Member
Username: Max190

Maryland Heights, Missouri US

Post Number: 24
James,
The optical cable connection is fine. You also need to hookup the 6 multichannel analog audio output connections to your Sony for SACD playback.

You will need to go into the setup mode in your DVD player for outputting 5.1

Username: Jehuggin

Post Number: 2
So I need to have both hooked up? If add the Multi CH connections I assume I will have to change something in the settings when watching a DVD or playing an SACD? I am confused on changing the setting on the DVD to 5.1, when I watch a DVD currently it comes across as 5.1 or 6.1 depending on the disc. Is it not true 5.1?

Lastly, are the multi-ch connections only for SACD? I don't have and SACDs at this time, and not sure if I will in the future, am I losing sound quality by using the optical with DVDs?

Thank you for your help.

Bronze Member
Username: Max190

Maryland Heights, Missouri US

Post Number: 25
Jim,
If you are not going to play any SACD's, then you do not need the 6 multi-ch connections. When you watching a DVD, the audio is coming over your optical cable (digital connection)

The analog muti-ch connections are for SACD audio.
You are not losing any sound quality by not having them hooked up.

Steve

« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us