Onkyo HT 650 Speaker Cable Question

Sheldon BC
Please forgive my ignorance as I'm a newbie to the home theater scene. From what I've read and heard I've decided on purchasing the Onkyo HT 650 system. I won't be setting it up for a few more days but until then I've been wondering exactly on what speaker wires I should use. Judging from a lot of the comments I see on here, most "in box" cables that come with a system are poor in comparison to third party speakers...so I am looking to use better speaker cables when I do end up wiring my Onkyo 650 up. My question is, can I use the "Monster Cable Home Theatre in a Box Speaker Connection Kit" with my Onkyo 650? Are these cables compatible with my HT system (will the Monster cables fit in the speakers and receivers?) I'm not exactly looking for best value here, just the most convenient setup for now.

Thanks for any help

Anonymous
Get the Monster Cable Kit 200 at your local Walmart. The cables that come with the system are 22 gauge and are unshielded.

Anonymous
Get the Radio Shack Gold Series at half the price of monster and they are just as good.

Anonymous
I am also new to the home theater scene, but can you please help answer the following questions.......

I know there is a difference in the sound, but will using the "stock" wires hurt/damage the system?

What does unshielded mean in reference to speaker wire?

Thanks!

OnkyoOwner
The Onkyo receiver that comes with the HTS-650 tends to get "very warm", some even say "hot" when using the flimsy 22 gauge wires that come with the system. You can buy 16 gauge wire by the foot at Home Depot or on spools of 100 feet at such places as Target, Walmart, Radio Shack. You can also upgrade the subwoofer cable with better quality from Radio Shack or Best Buy. Not really necessary to get the Monster brand--you'll pay twice as much and the sound difference will be negligible.

venkatesh
I researched extensively before I decided on cables. I wanted it to be good quality plus cheap.You don't need monster cable. You could get good quality 16/14 guage cable from Bestbuy(Acoustic research)or Homedepot for half the price of Monster cable.(I bought the AR cable in bestbuy for $30 - 100ft - with 8 puin connectors). Get your banana plugs(optional) and pin connectors from radioshack.

I bought a 4ft Monster optical cable from CC for $15 and a 15 ft monster subwoofer cable from best buy.

These are the best value available.

I hooked up my system and the performance is imply AWESOME!!!

the doctor
I got my onkyo ht 650 for 390 plus taxes, and I have to admit that was the only reason I bought it because of the price as I know it is selling for 500 everywhere else, I am very happy with the sound but I don't know if I did my homework right, as I didn't really compare it to other systems, now that there are cheaper systems out there, I'm not sure if I did the right thing

can you guys (those of you who are experts in home theaters) help me as far as if that is a good deal and whether if I could have gotten a better system for the same price, thanks for the help :)

Anonymous
you can't get a better system for under $1000.

Anonymous
any comments on using 12 gauge speaker wire with the onkyo hts650 ?

Anonymous
How about ONKYO HTS760, $470 in CircuitCity. 6.1, component video... is it a better deal compar with HTS650?

Check the HTS650 from Onkyo's online store. Join their little club, get $10 off. I paid $319, with free shipping.
Can't beat that with a stick.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us