Sound Pressure Levels for rears versus fronts

Username: Motown31

Post Number: 1
Hi! I just purchased a sound level meter from radio shack and I'm attempting to really fine tune my speaker set-up (onkyo s770 6.1). Here's my issue:

I've really evened up my three front speakers and sub at 75 db using the test tones. However, for some reason my rears are MUCH quieter than the fronts/sub. Intuitively, I think this is proper, because they're meant for ambient sounds, but everywhere I read it tells me that ALL channels should be equal...

Can anyone explain why my three rears are quiet compared to the fronts? Should the rears be in some proportion to the fronts?

Thanks for any advice!

Silver Member
Username: Dmwiley

Post Number: 454
Use the sound level meter at the listening position and set all speakers accordingly using slow response and level at 70. Because speakers are varying distances from listening position, volume levels will likely be different.

Post Number: 2
Is there a reason my rear channels would be significantly quieter than my fronts when I'm doing my test tones?

Silver Member

Post Number: 464
Maybe, if that is the factory setting. Simply raise them while using the meter.

Post Number: 3
I can do that, but I'd be pushing every rear channel up to it's maximum, and i don't necessarily think that should be correct...

It almost seems like the rear channels are 1/2 the db of the fronts...

I don't know...I know they should be equal db, but I don't know why they're not...the distances aren't that different, they're all set to "small", i can't think of anything else...

thanks dale for your concern as well, any other ideas????!!!!!

Thanks,
Jason C.

Silver Member

Post Number: 466
Jason, that is a bit odd, assuming the receiver outputs equal wattage to all channels. If memory serves, you have an HTIB setup that includes speakers?

Bronze Member
Username: Philman

Richmond, IN USA

Post Number: 72
If your setup includes the HTP-520 speakers (and wire) that came with the 770 then you should set the SP CONFIG Speaker size to Small for all speakers, including the fronts. (Large is used for speakers with Cone sizes over 6 1/2")

Next, and again if using the above, set the OR-EQ (OptiResponse Equalizer) to ON. This provides the proper bias and crossover for the these speakers and best output levels.

Don't forget to set the distances to your sweet spot. (couch, chair, bean bag, etc) Retry your test from that location.

Keep in mind that your ears, and not your SPL meter, will be listening to the DVD's. My recommendation is to get your money back, Unless your location has a noise ordinance and your checking to make sure you don't exceed it. :o)

my 2¢

Post Number: 4
Took the thing back to radio shack. I adjust it so much anyway, it doesn't even matter. I was pretty close with my ears anyway with the test tone, then realized the bass was far too high, etc....

thanks for all your advice you guys...

Silver Member
Username: Paul_ohstbucks

Post Number: 670
Good move Jason......

Those meters are just for fun anyway. Every soundtrack is unique, and leveling your system on a testDisc is fruitless.

The best thing is do do it with your ears, and simply set it where it sounds best. It's not rocket science....

Ya know....Adjust your center where it 'blends' just right with your fronts.

Then turn your surrounds/backs up to where you like it.

It's as simple as that.

Silver Member

Post Number: 531
Paul is wrong. Those meters are not "just for fun". When properly used, they can help assure accurate channel levels. Now you may prefer some other setting. The Digital Video Essentials gang, to name a few, suggests usage of the meter and these guys know audio and video. In my experience,it is much more accurate than depending solely on your ears. Paul, you should stop making wild and unsubstantiated statements and misleading people in the process.

Silver Member
Username: Paul_ohstbucks

Post Number: 681
Yea they are.......

Are you going to break out those meters and do your scientific test for every darned movie??

Every DVD has different channel levels, and only your ears can judge if the settings are correct.

Test CDs are 100% irrelevent..........since DVDs are all unique.

those meters are worth nothing when it comes to adjusting levels for any 5.1 movie.

If you use a 'generic' test CD...........it will have nothing do do with the ouput levels when you pop your first DVD into the player.

Silver Member

Post Number: 533
I'm not going to volley this back and forth. Everything in life is not subjective Paul. There are objective measures of sound and video quality. You don't have to accept the truth and you can continue to live in darkness. Your choice.

Username: Thx_3417

Bournemouth, Dorset United Kingdom

Post Number: 4
Jason, hi there what is the sensitivity of your loudspeakers the fronts left centre and right, as well as the surrounds, I'll do my best on this end to come up with a solution to your problem.

Ash...
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us